Do you guys add weight?

ICG/SOU

HO & O (3-rail) trainman
In HO, I add weight, if needed, to bring rolling stock up to NMRA recommendations. I have on a few O rolling stock done the same, but didn't know if it really matters or is necessary. While the Atlas O stuff seems to have some nice weight to it, the Weaver cars I have are very light, and to bring them up to weight, I have to add quite a bit of weight.

So, for the more experienced three-railers, do you add weight? Do you use the NMRA recommended practices or your own rule of thumb?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a scale to weigh mine, but, I just add enough weight to make it stay on the tracks. Some have to have more weight than others.

As a 2 railer, I add weight to my lighter cars. I don't follow the NMRA recommended practices to a T but one or two ounce below. Real cars are different weights due to loads and empties and construction methods. When I ran 3 rail, I probably went with half the NMRA RP's for weight on my longer cars.

Greg

Thanks for your responses.

I took a scale out and weighed my Weaver 4 Bay ACF Centerflow covered hopper, and it was only 3 ounces underweight (using the NMRA RP), which was easily remedied with some fishing weights and glue.

I did a sampling and found that MTH and Atlas O tend to be heavier than the RP, which is fine for me. I don't know if it is the size of the flanges and track, but it is rare to have any of my O scale stuff to jump the tracks.

Heck, yes, I'm always putting on weight. Oh, you were talking about adding weight to our models. Never mind. :eek:

I usually add weight, a little over the NMRA standard, but I usually run 2 rail trucks/wheel sets on 3 rail Gargraves track. The extra weight keeps em on the rail through turnouts and crossings ;) I also add extra weight to all the cars I weather and sell on Ebay for the same purpose. Most people run multiple powered units so the heavy train won't be a problem.

Back