Do You Belong to a Model Railroad Club?

Greg@mnrr

Section Hand
Just a question for the Forum members...how many of you belong to and are active in a local Model Railroad Club?

If you a club member, please let us know how often you attend work sessions, meetings and other events. Why did you join the club?

Thanks.

Greg

I don't belong to anyone or anything. I am a member of a MRRC though. We have a permanent layout and also participate in modular setups at shows and local libraries. I participate for the interaction with other model railroaders. I don't attend the meetings but do support the monthly open house and some of the setups at the train shows. I don't have a module though. I had built an extensive module system about 15 years ago but gave that to the club after I decided attending a show all three days was a lot of driving.
I sponsor op sessions on my empire occasionally and invite some of the members over for that. An open invitation would bring way to many people.

"I refuse to belong to any group that would have someone like me as a member."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The club that I belong to has a permanent but yet unfinished layout and is open 24/7/365. I am the sole member. The layout located in the "Train Shed" is 150' away from my back door on my "back 40" acreage.
Saw politics get in the way of the closest modular club located 25 miles away, so I declined after attending just two meetings. My LHS owner, who was active, said that things never got better, but they are still in existence. He hung around because of the business that he was able to generate from the members, approximately 40. They only set-up at local train shows and are allowed to use a vacant storefront for a few weeks at Christmas, in a local outlet mall that has never been used. It actually does generate traffic for that underutilized space. A nice side note is that during the two months that I was associated with them, we went on a pretty extensive tour of the ATSF Alliance Yard shortly after the merger. Small groups of 5-6 at a time were allowed into the "tower" during the visit. I do still visit the Christmas display and leave a donation to pay the electric bill.
I am making Beady an honorary member of my club, just to spite him.

Willie

Spite is good. I can live with that.

I'm a member of the AMRA (Australian Model Railway Assoc.) Queensland Branch, club. I get to 3 running events (2 days, 1 evening/month) and I attend a monthly evening committee/member meeting as often as I can. Would love to get involved with the practical aspects of the layouts but other considerations take preference. Did belong to another local club but just couldn't get there often enough. The interaction with other rail enthusiasts is a highlight of the activity.

There are no MRR clubs within 100 miles of me, so, no I am not a member of any clubs. I am a member of the NMRA and am unsure if I will remain. Not going to Orlando this year. Would like to attend the local get together, but, their may be a conflict. I am also a member of the NPRHA (Northern Pacific Railway Historical Assoc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Local model railroad club ? What is that ???? 20.gif

The closest thing I have is in my basement.

I should belong to the Amherst Railway Society being that I live here in Western Mass, but being that I lost my ability to drive on the road from a stroke I had a few years ago, it stops me from doing those things. Being on disability as well from it has also made it hard to at least afford some of the stuff.

It was that show last January of 2017 that Amherst did and my wife won tickets to the show, got me back into this hobby. It was so much fun, thank God I got a ride to it. I should at least join just to keep in touch. Not sure at the moment, but coming up to speed slowly in understanding this stuff and researching real trains seems to keep me occupied and happy.

Here was a short ad on the TV we saw here in western mass:

My God it was huuuuuge!!

Just a question for the Forum members...how many of you belong to and are active in a local Model Railroad Club?

If you a club member, please let us know how often you attend work sessions, meetings and other events. Why did you join the club?
Do historical societies count as a club?

I currently belong to one club, but haven't been to a monthly meeting or special event for over a year.
Likewise I'm an NMRA member, but haven't been to any of those meetings for over a year.
More likewise I belong to several operating groups - not formal clubs at all but rotate through several different layouts, but haven't been out operating for at least 6 months.

Formerly I belonged to a club with an operating layout for 23 years, they had a work night every Friday, and operating sessions once a month. We also operated on various members layouts once a week (rotation so all layouts in a month). I had my children in Youth In Model Railroading club for ummm - many years, where we meet once a month and operated at all the various random shows and mall special events.

Now volunteering at the museum I don't have any time for clubs, let alone working on my own layout. Here in the Denver & Colorado Front Range area model railroad activities could easily consume ones entire evening schedule, and weekends.

When I first got started, I was a very active in the local club, attending every Wednesday evening work session and Friday evening operating session for just over 2 years. Then it was off to college, getting married, off to the Air Force, kids, career, finish college and 9 moves. Now there is only 1 "local" club and for whatever reason, they won't tell you what the dues are until after you've applied for membership. Sorry, if that's their attitude, they can keep their club.

WNow there is only 1 "local" club and for whatever reason, they won't tell you what the dues are until after you've applied for membership.
That is odd. I wonder what their reasoning for that is. One would think they would want to be up front with all their rules and regulations especially financial ones.

That is strange, maybe ask them what the policy is designed to do. If they say it's to only admit those who really want to join, then I would assume them to be a bunch of snobs.

Just adding to my own Thread...I belong to a small group of modelers who get together at our homes on a random basis. We meet in the winter months and sometimes just run trains, check on the progress of the member's layouts or just talk trains.

No rules, no by-laws, no dues....just fun.
j
Greg

"I refuse to belong to any group that would have someone like me as a member."

Beady I can relate!! :rolleyes: I used to belong to a local club, in fact I was an officer for many years. Then our permanent layout was lost, so we went modular, only setting up at shows. Goodbye operations, hello roundy-round. Plus transporting my 36 linear feet of modules, setting them up, and tearing them down 2 days later got to be a drag. Not to mention wear & tear on my truck, costs of the trailer, insurance etc I got tired of it. So I quit. I am still friends with several of the group, and we help each other with our own layouts, and go to op sessions frequently, so who needs to pay monthly dues??

Like some of you, the nearest clubs around are 100 miles away both east and west.
I'm also a member of NMRA (don't know for how long though) and will be going to Orlando (hope to see some of you there)

transporting my 36 linear feet of modules, setting them up, and tearing them down 2 days later got to be a drag.
I can relate. I had 3 children in (well 5 children in but only 3 at a time) Youth In Model Railroading. One summer we had a show almost ever other weekend for most of the summer. We, of course, had one of the corner modules so we could not miss a show. That was only 20 linear feet in 5 modules but it was enough that something always got broken, bent, or otherwise screwed up either setting up or taking down. Then, silly me, after that I started using the children's modules connected to my 18' "L" modules to use for promotion of the other club. It was only set up 4 times a year but that is still enough to wear a person's enthusiasm down. When the shows started switching from a Friday night set up to a Saturday before the show set up I just stopped going.

I've been in clubs for over 20 years. Both very good ones. One modular that set up at shows, currently one with a permanent layout in a facility where I have access 24/7/365. Dues for all that time are still way less than I would have invested in a home layout. If you can find the right group, a club is a very positive experience.

I have belonged to a club in every area that I lived at that had one close enough. I currently have 10 years with the club I'm with now. I don't have room for a layout at home, so the club is my layout. I'm there 2 to 3 times a week. I also go to several private layouts for OPS sessions.

Back