Do these refrigeration cars fit the plan?

bn_1970

I plan on doing an early-mid '70s BN train. I could not find much info at all on these R-70-20's. I'm sure the GN will be ok, but what about the Tropicana and orange BN? Are they compatible with the dates I plan to model? Thanks in advance guys.

IMR-68820-01-2.png

IMR-68817-01-2.png

CCR-0001-014833-1-2.png

based on what i know about reefers, this ribbed mechanical reefer with the 10' plug door was in service in the 1970s - as early as 1970 based on a photo I have seen.

OP-14250.jpg

March 1970

whether the GN or BN had them in thier fleet at this time is another story and may require a little research.

as for the Tropi - this photo is dated 1975 so it verifies this paint scheme was around at the time, but not on the ribbed reefer.

TPIX572vjb.jpg

As you may already know, the thing about tropicanas is from what i have read and seen, these cars always run in unit trains. they are a priority train and dont tend to run with mixed bulk freight. personally i have only seen them occasionally mixed with other freight in small groups at the beginning or end of high priority intermodal or autorack trains.

none of this is conclusive or proof these cars didnt exist during this time...some version of them existed in some way for sure. this is also not to suggest that you shouldnt include them. needless to say, the most important thing is to have fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is also not to suggest that you shouldnt include them. needless to say, the most important thing is to have fun.

Thanks Airslide. Yes you're right-the most important thing is to have fun. I'm not going to be TOO picky about dates. If something is within a couple or even a few years of what I want to model, I'll probably get it if that's what I like. But I'm very curious of when those orange BN cars were used-don't think I've ever seen the prototype.

Bill,Yes the GN and BN car will fit the early 70s as will any road that was part of the BN merger.

I recall seeing PRR,NYC and Reading 50' boxcars as late as 83.

Railroads didn't rush into repainting cars and in some cases locomotives after a merger.Chessie had lots of locomotives still in C&O and B&O paint scheme well into the mid to late 80s..

I know the Milwaukee used 40 foot steel reefers into the 70s even. The 50 footers you've got in your original post will work well for the 70s. Good luck

---
- Sent from my phone

Back