Dishes, plates of food, silverware

Dave S

Tree Farmer
Does anyone know where to obtain some HO scale representations of food plates, cups, silverware and other associated table top items? I'm modelling the interior of a diner and the clientele are eyeing the bare counter and getting unruly.

In HO, a 12" diner plate would be .137" in diameter. You might take some photos of placemats with dishes on them and see if you can shrink them down to 1/87 on a printer, but I doubt they'd print out very recognizable. I've not seen 1/87 dishes myself.

Dave - I don't know of any representations available. I tend to think that other than the patrons, no one else would notice their absence. That being said, I have made them and added them to scenes. For plates, I took a brand new single-edge razor blade and carefully sliced very thin cross sections of white sprue material. Not all of them came out successfully, so I made lots of extras. Silverware can be represented by tiny pieces of silver wire; I got mine by unraveling recycled computer wire. Cups and Styrofoam type drinking utensils can be made from some .020 or .030 styrene rod from Evergreen, I cannot remember which size that I used. I haven't made any clear glasses, but there may be some fiber-optic wire of the correct diameter that could be used.
Unless I point it out to others, no one seems to see them in enclosed structures anyway.
Hope that this helps.

Willie

Probably the most practical way, rather than making or photographing individual items, would be to photograph the whole tabletop setting and print that out, complete with it's table cloth. Not going to be 3D, but as noted, not something that is easily seen through plastic windows, but might be enough to create the impression.

To add to my thoughts, making a model of the floral centerpiece that is usual on the tables, may be enough of a 3D item, to suggest that the other plates etc are also.

Punch circles out of paper to create plates using small diameter metal tubing as a punch.

Would the Paper disks from a paper punch be to big for plates? In my opinion all of this is maybe at the limit of what a person can actually distinguish, through a small window with some type of clear glazing. Maybe a photograph, reduced in size as suggested, would be the easiest way to accomplish what your after. Now if your going for a win at some NMRA convention, you will need to go a bit further.

Sounds like a fun project, have at'r!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing dishes being offered by SS Limited many years ago. I don't know if they're still in buiness any more. You might check a Walthers catalog. That's where I saw them. I had thought about getting some for my scratch built cafe but never followed through.

Picture%2520303[1][1].jpg Picture%2520304[1][1].jpg

Hope this solves your problem - - may keep your unruly redneck customers quiet!

Go down this page ( about 2/3 of the way down) till you get to the hamburgers, hot-dogs, and donuts! http://www.vectorcut...cessoriesHO.htm
unsure.gif
Now your city cops can get carry-outs!
laugh.gif

The main page is here http://www.vectorcut.com/ Some wonderfull bits - those gears in a scrap yard, or as a part of a scrap load for example - the tools in your LPBs* workshops.

*LPB = Little Plastic Blokes

That is just what I was looking for, thanks Shortliner!

Montanan that is a beautiful diner. I wish I had those skills!

I bought a bottle of cup cake decorations that was teeny flat round sugar things that looked like dishes. Somehow during a move, they vanished. can't find them anywhere.

Back