DISGUSTED WITH EBAY

Brakeman Hal

Every notice I get from ebay saying they have an O-Scale 2-Rail steam loco turns out to be an O-Scale 3-Rail from the MTH model number or a picture of the underside of the loco showing the center rail pickup rollers. The Dash-1 at the end of the MTH model number indicates 3-Rail, and a Dash-2 would indicate a 2-Rail locomotive, which I've never seen in the months that I've been getting ebay's notices.

Hal

Right there with ya big guy, and I believe the majority of users are too for various reasons.

Last edited:
Every notice I get from ebay saying they have an O-Scale 2-Rail steam loco turns out to be an O-Scale 3-Rail from the MTH model number or a picture of the underside of the loco showing the center rail pickup rollers. The Dash-1 at the end of the MTH model number indicates 3-Rail, and a Dash-2 would indicate a 2-Rail locomotive, which I've never seen in the months that I've been getting ebay's notices.

Hal

Sorry Hal, but it has nothing to do with Ebay, but all to do with the seller.
If the seller put in his tags a bunch of description which includes 2 rails and 3 rails, you'll get a notice.
For example, if he put "black cats" in his tags, people looking for black cats, will get a notice for a 3 rail locomotive.
Ebay goes by what the seller rights.

That's why ebay tells sellers to include photos. If the photos show details of the item that don't agree with the seller's description, then you know somethings not correct and you should write to the seller to get a confirmation of which is which before buying. Ebay does not check seller's descriptions. Just not possible with the volume of for sales it receives.

I bid and won an HO geared steam locomotive. The photo showed it was a Heisler, which is what I wanted. The description stated it was a Shay. When I won the bidding, I emailed the seller about the correct designation. He replied that he knew the difference, but ebay wouldn't allow him to change the description! 😦

I have asked EBAY many times to send me O-Scale TWO RAIL steam locomotives only, but everything they send me is 3-Rail.

Hal
angry-old-man.jpg

Just kidding with ya! None-the less, I believe that posts above describe pretty well the reason's why and what to do about it.

I fully agree! Sellers are the issue. An example is the paint seller who lists using just the scales to load in hundreds of individual color bottles for sale. Scrolling thru that nonsense is a big irritation.

Those are both HO. The OP is looking for 2-rail O.
Oh, expletive's. I knew that. I was looking at their O stuff, and scrolling through somehow it must has switched scales when I specified 2-rail. Why would anyone put 2-rail on an HO add unless it is Marklin stuff?

Back