Digitrax signal/ computer system

Wow - what a fun layout! Really makes you wish, and want. Thanks for sharing the links, there's great intoduction info here.

I'm guessing that the guy is sponsored by Digitracks. Not that it's a bad thing, just take that into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
RexHea said:
Thanks Ken. Those are interesting videos. Maybe in a decade or so mine will be able to do that:rolleyes: :D .

And here it was I B thinkin' you'd have it done by next week for Jim to see!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I like I like, I might have to play with that. I wonder if I can mix-n-match, because I want NCE cabs. Thats about how complex my layout will have to be, besides the switching from side to side in the room, mine will be very linear. I'll probly need 5 boosters and I guess isolate every track? Sheesh got me dreaming now.

jbaakko said:
I like I like, I might have to play with that. I wonder if I can mix-n-match, because I want NCE cabs. Thats about how complex my layout will have to be, besides the switching from side to side in the room, mine will be very linear. I'll probly need 5 boosters and I guess isolate every track? Sheesh got me dreaming now.

Josh;

Why 5 boosters??:confused: Is your dream layout that big??? :confused:If you're looking for short circuit protection, why not look at the PM42 from Digitrax. Not only can you set it up for short protection on separate power districts, but depending on how its set up by you, which is very easy BTW, it can even serve as an auto-reverser.:D

We set up three PM42s on a friends layout, with one having a couple of the circuits wired to act as the auto-reverser for several loops, with the all the others, and the two remaining circuits wired for short protection. result is he has ended up with 12 separate districts with their own short protection, two auto reversers, and he hasn't had a short hit his main booster yet.

Yeah but will the PM42's work with a NCE system? I figure 5 boosters, one for the stanging room, one for each yard and then one each for 1/2 the layout.

Josh;

Yes it can. From the PM42 FAQ, on Digitrax's website:

"The PM42 can be used as a stand alone Auto reversing unit and Short Circuit Manager with many other non-Digitrax systems, but for systems without Loconet capability, a number of networked management features will be unavailable."

In other words, its saying that you can use it but instead of being able to control or change its parameters through the throttle and booster, you will have to set everything up manually. Like I said, this is very easy to do.

Sweet, so I can run the PM42's :) its gonna be fun, how does "per block" short circit detection sound? Too much? My computer system is going to just about as complex as his, minus the automated trains.

Josh;

Just a click,click,click....about a second apart or so. Will not stop until the short is cleared. Also if mounted where you can see it, there are 4 leds, red/green. If circuit is OK, all leds light up green. If a short is present, the district that's shorting turns red. If one/two circuits are used for auto reversing, that section will turn from red to green and back again, depending on which direction has tripped.

Back