Digitrax DT400 Tether length?

a300mech

Hello,

Please forgive me, but if this info is out there I haven't been able to find it.
Could someone with a DT400 cab (and perhaps also the UT4?) please tell me how long the tether is?

This is a piece of info I'd really like to have as I'm trying to decide if I'm better off going with the radio equipped system or using several UP5 panels.
This info would help me a lot!

Thank you in advance,
a300mech

Outstanding! Thank you so much Rex! That should be plenty long enough for my layout plan.

Thank you again! :)
a300mech

I 'second' the vote for a radio receiver. AFAIK, you can mail in your DT400 to Digitrax and they'll upgrade it for radio use for a small fee. Then you never need to worry about tangling or tripping over that tether. If you have guest operators over, you'll be much better off without tether cables all over the place.

Thanks for the words of advice guys. I would really love to go with the radio option....However right now funds are very tight.
As for other operators, I'm the sole operator (I've never run into other railroaders around Broken Arrow for some reason), so tripping and tangling shouldn't be a real issue thankfully.

I mainly wanted to see how many UP5 panels I would need and with the 12 foot tether on the cab, it's still lots cheaper (~180 bucks) to buy the Super Empire builder and the three UP5s I'll need than to pay the extra for the radio equipped Super Chief.
I figure eventually I'll splurge for the radio upgrade. But I'm just re-entering the hobby so I need to allocate some money for locos, rolling stock, track, etc. :D

Thanks for the advice though guys! :)
a300mech

You won't trip on the coiled cords of the DT400...the old straight ones were a pain in the...

Radio option is nice, but just can't see the cost unless you have a big layout. You still need plugins around the layout for setting up and your friends my not have a DT400R. BTW: DT400 conversion radio is $50 each. So later on...

Infrared works good if you can remember to point at a detector. I couldn't and gave it up.

The 'length' of the DT400 'cord' is really not an issue with placing UP5 panels. Remember, you can 'unplug' your throttle and the train will still keep running. My layout has 4 plug-in panel locations, spread over 78' of fascia. You do not need a UP5 panel every 15' so that you cover every inch of your layout. Put the panels where 'the action is' - like a yard or centered in a town.
Currently I have 'radio', but those 4 panels location are a handy place to keep throttles when not in use(sort of like TV remotes - they can get 'lost'!).

Jim

Good point that Jim makes. On my double car garage size layout, I still only have plug panels at the "working" areas, but at least one in any large spaces for testing convenience. You know, you can easily make these panels with telephone jack wall covers. They won't have all the bells&whistles, but they will do the job without hurting anything. Prove my point, I have a few around and also a double-ended telephone connector plug that I let guys use that need an extension for their 12inch tether radio DT's

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the great thoughts. You're info regarding the UP5 placement is just what I had in mind. I'll be placing one at Altoona, and the others will go at each of my staging yards. I've got a space where I'll eventually have a coal mine, and a couple of other industries in a separate area so when I start on that area I'll need another UP5. But other than that, I think 3 will be plenty.
Especially with Rex's idea of the double ended cord extender. :)

As for moving between panels, as Jim pointed out since I can unplug and move to the next panel I should be okay there.

Naturally since all of my plans are still on paper things may change. This will be my third layout, but it's my first one in almost twenty years so I'm sure there'll be a few "minor" alterations as I go along. But in the short time I've been on the forums I've come to realize what a tremendous resource it is.
And that's of course thanks to guys like you! :)
It's hard to believe that anyone ever got anything done before the internet! :D
Thanks again guys! <salute>

Hi Rex,

Thanks for the link and the advice. I was hoping to be able to make my own plug in stations down the road. I was just going to wait till I got the actual hardware so I could reverse engineer them. The three panels I've got coming will be enough for the short term. But my layout is designed to grow in two or three stages. And then I will need more plug-in stations. So your info is welcome news. :)

I'm sure building my own should be at least a bit cheaper than buying them and paying postage, etc. Plus I enjoy building things. But then again don't we all? :D

Have a great day,
Darryl

Darryl- If you are using 3 panels for now and expect to expand the layout in the future, temporarily place a UP5 at the three most "busy" corners of the layout. This way, you can watch two sides of your layout at a time and learn where the track needs your attention while operating.
When the layout expands, you can reposition the UP5 so you can monitor problem areas within reach of the throttle tether.

Hi Mikey,

Sounds like good advice. I think I'll try that out. I'm pretty sure of where most of my close attention will be needed. But of course things have a way of changing as plans turn into lumber and track. :)

Take care,
Darryl

a300mech
I used to live in Broken Arrow. You will be surprised at the number of Model Railroaders around. I recommend you look up the Claremore and Southern. They have a web site. Located in Claremore, it is a dedicated group of modelers that meets and works on the layout. Next look up the local hobby shop. I cant recall the name, but get down there and ask questions. There are some great Model Railroads in the area. Best of luck!

Hi csxnut.

Thank you for the info. The hobby shop I think you're referring to is the one on main St.? I think it's out of business. There's one in Tulsa near 51st and Mingo, but they seem to be leaning more towards R/C cars and planes. I was just there on Thursday and the model RR "department" is sparse at best.

It's hard to believe in an area the size of Tulsa, and Broken Arrow the closest club is about about 35 miles away! :eek:
I sure wish we had a club here in BA. Well, maybe someday. :)

Anyhow, thanks again for the info and the encouragement. Hope you've found greener pastures wherever you've moved to.:)

Back