Digitrak rf wireless

ctclibby

Howdy All! Need some insight please. Been looking at the DT602 with associated UR93 loconet RF widget. There is also a utility throttle UT6. Ok so the question is: am I better off NOT getting the DT602 and rely on JMRI and it's loconet interface to deal with decoders? Will the UT6 be good enough for a road throttle vs the 602? Looks like I could get 2 UT6's for 1 DT602, or thereabouts. I do not really need to be able to control 2 trains with one DT602 handheld as I have enough problems deciding ifn am left or right handed in the first place.

Thanks!

I have a UT6, and it is NOT RF. It is IR, which is completely different. If you are planning to be in a remote area of the layout, a UT6 would be beneficial, otherwise, get a UP4 and an extension cable for the 602, and take it with you.

I have a UT6, and it is NOT RF. It is IR, which is completely different. If you are planning to be in a remote area of the layout, a UT6 would be beneficial, otherwise, get a UP4 and an extension cable for the 602, and take it with you.
Sorry, that should have been UT6D which according to the powers that be replaces the UT4 and works with the UR93 rf interface. I have corded throttles for local work - yards, industrial switching and stuff like that. Those are older but still work. Do you have a DT602? If so, does it do everything you need when dealing with decoders? Or should I keep with the original thought and use JMRI for that? I do not mind buying the JMRI interface but would like to keep the pile of electronics down for better ops and troubleshooting.

I suspect that I will also get an additional UR93 as 802.11 can be iffy when stuff is between the AP and transmitting device which could happen in my train cave. Ya, could be Ima over thinking ..again.. although I have found better to think now than have to restructure stuff later.

I've had the 602D for a while now. It seems to be kinda clumsy for MUing locos.
With the older 402 and 500 throttles, the second loco could be dialed up on the left knob, features toggled then MUed where as the 602 needs to the second loco dialed up on the same knob as the lead loco. Changing features requires dropping the loco from the lead loco know, dialing it back up on the opposite throttle, change the desired option, i.e. headlight, sound, then dispatch it then go back to the lead loco throttle, dial up the loco and join it back up.
I think Digitrax took a clumsy step backward with this new throttle.

I have the UR96 base station along with the UT6D throttle (duplex radio). I have been generally very happy with this combo on my Woodlawn Industrial Park layout (see the thread for this). I could certainly have used JMRI with WiThrottle but in my experience, that is a bit clunky. Even though I'm normally in favor of software based solutions, in this case, a separate physical throttle is much nice.

Welp, pulled the trigger.
2 UT6D Utility throttle.
2 UR93 RF Loconet interface.
DCS210+ Command station with PS.
DT602 Handheld throttle.
From what I have been reading on JMRI, it should connect through the 210's USB port and allow what I need in regards to decoder setup and such. If not, guess that I will have to play a little mo.

Put it all on the Wife's card. Boy is she gonna squeal!

Last edited:
Welp, pulled the trigger.
2 UT6D Utility throttle.
2 UR93 RF Loconet interface.
DCS210+ Command station with PS.
DT602 Handheld throttle.
From what I have been reading on JMRI, it should connect through the 210's USB port and allow what I need in regards to decoder setup and such. If not, guess that I will have to play a little mo.

Put it all on the Wife's card. Boy is she gonna squeal!

You won't regret it - The UT6Ds work pretty well and you will get a lot of use out of them. Enjoy!

Back