Detailing Sea Containers

regme

Hi

I recently 3D printed some sea contains in HO scale, I was going to paint them in LINFOX colours. Since I do not a have smooth surface in which to place a decal and masking for painting may not come out that good. Is there another way to place logos onto an uneven surface.

Cheers

Attachments

• _MG_1981w.jpg
    _MG_1981w.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 168
I'm wondering if it's an idea to print the yellow LINFOX diamond symbol onto a common stationary store address label, the kind that has a peel off backing. If it wasn't too thick, you could peel the backing off as you are carefully wrapping the symbol around the corrugations.

I thought most of these had smaller labels writing on the door end (flat panels). The side had much larger logos or shipping carrier name.
cargo-storage-shipping-container-containers-sale-rent-long-beach.jpg

I think those stickers maybe too thick for that, I was thinking of using Decal's that you can print on an ink jet or laser printer.

My photo is from the back, but it looks like the photo above at the front

You can use decals on ribbed surfaces as long as you use micro set and micro sol.
Micro sol is the one that will soften the decal and allow it to form to the surface.

index.jpg

I encounter that situation with some custom decals on the sides of ribbed hopper cars. I used the Micro Set applied where the decals were to be applied and then the red, Micro Sol on the decal themselves. As the decals started to settle int the channels, I use Walthers' SolvaSet which is a stronger solution than either of the Microscale products.

I let the decal settle and dry over night and the results were great.

Be patient and carefully brush the SolvaSet over the entire decal and lay the container down with the decals facing up to have gravity help settle the decals while they dry.

Greg

IMG_0467.JPG

The red Accurail 55 ton hopper I purchased in a set of six hoppers from Walther's which were from a damaged box that contained a six pack of the cars with different numbers. I paid $8.95/car. The coal load is for an Athearn hopper. The cars' built date is1927, but who cares, the hopper still fits into my mining operation.-Greg

IMG_0468.JPG

This is also a Accurail hopper that I found in my stock of rolling stock kits. The railroad's original name was patched out with Grimy Black, but I'll would use black tape decals if I could do it over. The cows are from the Walther's herd and like the tall grasses.-Greg

Note: Can you spot the brakeman relieving himself in the photo?-Greg

Last edited:

Back