Destroyed Old Layout

B_Kosanda

Well, I did it. My old UP Cascade Subdivision layout is no more. It's not that I was unhappy with it, it's just that it lost it's appeal to me. My new version of the Cascade Subdivision will have many improvements over my previous layout.
1.) Double-ended staging for multiple full size trains.
2.) Double-ended yard in Eugene, rather than the single-ended yard I use to have.
3.) Multiple passing sidings at least 15 feet long.
4.) Constant grade of about 1.7%, which will allow accurate use of helper locomotives.
5.) Improved signal system using resistive wheelsets, rather than photo transistors. I plan to use Bruce Chubb's CMRI system with a PC and BASIC program.
6.) Roadbed made from masonite spline, rather than 1x lumber.

The layout plan is shown. As far as progress goes, the old layout is taken down, which was a very large task by itself. The new layout has all the bench work in place and I am installing the backdrop now. Photos to follow.

Bill

Wow Bill you've been busy. Nice track plan. Looking forward to some photos of your progress.

Ken.

Very nice Bill. I was always a big fan of your old RR, but this one should be really awesome.

I'm planning something very similar one of these days. I'll be following your reconstruction carefully. Keep us posted. :cool:

Nice looking layout!

While it is difficult, starting over can be really good, since you get a chance to explore new ideas and fix all the things you don't like about the old layout.

Besides, let's face it, for a lot of modelers much of the fun is in building the layout.

Should be great, i just took up most of my layout due to builders making a huge mess, but on the bright side my new one will be bigger and better, keep us posted

Should be good Bill. Although I am gonna miss the Cascade Division, it was an awesome layout ;) Best of luck:)
Chris

Benchwork Progress

Well I've been busy lately. I'm having more fun working on the layout, so I haven't been on the forum much lately. I guess I'd rather work on the layout, than sitting at the computer ;).

Here you can see the beginning of the Eugene yard. In the back you can see the helix to get from the top of the hill back to the bottom. That helix took me a full day to get completed. Even though I was extremely careful and made the sections with a cutting jig, it still took some adjustments to get it in place.

Bill

Helix

Here's another view of the helix. It has a diameter of 52". I used threaded rods to hold it in place. In the photo, it still has to be adjusted to the proper rise. Another day, another thing to be done.

Booster

I made an enclosure to hold the DCC transformer and booster. This will end up being behind a hole in the fascia. There is a phone jack to plug in the throttle to keep the battery charged when not in use.

Oakridge

This is a shot around the other side of the peninsula. On the left will be Oakridge and on the right will be Fields, which has a higher elevation.

Wicopee

Around the other side of the Fields peninsula is Wicopee. All of these shelves are 24" wide, except in a couple areas where they are 18" wide due to space limits. The aisles are all 30" wide, except one.

Crazy Idea

I plan to have the tracks come off the bench work at the upper laft and traverse the lowered area. This is going to allow me to model the tracks hanging on the side of the mountain. At least that's the plan.

Turnout Installation

I'm re-using all the Peco turnouts from my old layout. It's a lot of work to get the paint off the ends with Goof Off in order to come up with a clean surface to solder to. I pulled one out of it's hole to show the switch machine under the track.

I'd like to install my Kadee decoupler magnets under the track, instead of on top where they would be visible. Has anyone done that? I was wondering if they are strong enough to uncouple cars when they are under the track.

Bill

Looking Good! Hopfully I can get mine started soon, but with school and a lack of money, I don't think its going to happen any time soon

Bill you are the man, the benchwork look's superb, things are moving along great by the looks of things. there was an article in MR a few years back showing how to improve the power of a Kadee under track uncoupler by adding metal plates to it, i'll have to dig around for the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill, really nice work going on and you have a plan that should keep you entertained for a long time. I don't know if the above track magnets are strong enough for use under the track. As Steve said, if you put a metal plate under them, it will strengthen the magnetic field upward. I use the Kadee "under the track uncouplers" with a metal plate and they are plenty strong.

Back