Desiro NJ Bahn V w/DCC, Piko, 52219

csxfan

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'd like to buy European Desiro NJ Bahn V w/DCC, Piko, 52219, and other European locos, but the available info says it's [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]AC, decoder-equipped for normal and DCC operation. I have Bachmann Dynamis and EZ track. Some people warn me that they will NOT run on my DCC layout because they're AC however Digital. So I don't know, I'm really confused, like are these locos the famous 3 rail HO, or what ? Can I run them safely on my EZ track powered by Dynamis DCC ?
[/FONT]

If it works on DCC and are two-rail, then it should be fine, but I'm not quite sure if the modern Piko stuff is still 2-rail. (the older stuff was)

No it will not work as AC locos are made for Marklin track that has the center rail / stud. What you want is this version made for 2 rail operation. Piko #52019.

Aha, so AC is 3 rail no matter it's digital and thus won't run on DC 2 rail, EZ track, got it. Yet if I want anything European running on my Bachmann EZ track it must be DC with DCC ready because they don't make any DCC DC 2 rail locos, only DCC AC 3 rail, and DC 2 rail with DCC ready. That sucks because I don't know how to fit a decoder, I want factory installed decoders, I don't wanna mess with locos to screw them up.

So, for example, at reynaulds, they sell the one MGWSY mentions with this info

"Product Features and Details
NJ Desiro 2-unit diesel train set in blue gray livery. The railcar set is composed of one powered motor unit and a non-powered unit. It features a DCC-ready NEM652 interface, full interiors, constant-intensity interior lighting, bi-directional lighting (red/white), short coupling between cars, can motor with flywheel and metal chassis"

So what decoder will fit these specifications, DCC-ready NEM652, and can a complete amateur, or even a little less, like me install it, like is it rocket science ? Thank you, Mark G

NEM 652 is the standard NMRA 8-pin socket. Any decoder with the 8-pin plug that will physically fit inside the engine will do.

All it involves is popping the shell off and plugging it in.

So what decoder will fit these specifications, DCC-ready NEM652, and can a complete amateur, or even a little less, like me install it, like is it rocket science ? Thank you, Mark G

When you get the model you will do what Diburning said and either pop the shell off or some euro locos have a hatch you open, unplug the jumper socket, plug in a decoder that fits the space. Its a real simple process that anyone can handle. The instructions that come with the model should tell you what to do and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. I have a bunch of European models from Roco, Fleischmann, Liliput and they all have similar designs.

Wow, thanks. I almost bought three of the AC versions. So is this basic decoder perfect as I have EZ track and Dynamis DCC from wholesale trains:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bachmann EZ Command Decoder with NMRA 8-Pin Connector (3 pa...
Introduce your locomotives to the digital age with our basic 1 amp decoders.
Item #: BAC44916

I need your OK !!! ???
[/FONT]

LOL not knowing the inards of the Piko model I would suggest you get the model first and see what will fit the location for the decoder and see what amperage piko suggests for the decoder. remember for a model like this which wont pull cars you can use a N scale decoder too. There are plenty of small decoders out there and you dont have to get a Bachmann decoder either. You can get NCE, Digitrax, TCS, Etc.

Aha, which are the best, and what would that mean, in what terms ? Any personal recommendation ? These Roco locos of yours, what/which are they actually ? Pulling many cars depends on the kind of decoder one uses ? Are the Bachmann 1 amp too bad, too basic, but they will work, right ? I guess this basic decoder is installed in all my Bachmann DCC locos and they run fine.

Decoder brands are solely up to choice. Most decoders work the same way. Go with the brand that you want/trust. There are other choices out there that have more options and features (better motor control) for less than what the Bachmann decoder costs.

A 1 Amp decoder is pretty much standard. How many cars the engine will pull depends on the motor, not the decoder.

Decoder brands are solely up to choice. Most decoders work the same way. Go with the brand that you want/trust. There are other choices out there that have more options and features (better motor control) for less than what the Bachmann decoder costs.

A 1 Amp decoder is pretty much standard. How many cars the engine will pull depends on the motor, not the decoder.

Oh, so what are they, cheaper and better, where, how much by bulk ? I thought 3 decoders for 68 smackaroos, not too bad ! ?

Where do you live? If you're in the united states and you paid $68 for 3 decoders, they better be really nice decoders! (what brand and model?)

Basic decoders can be had for $15 each, or even less if you buy a multi-pack.

Bachmann decoders are VERY basic and lack certain features (such as speed adjustments). The Digitrax DH123 (about $15 when discounted) are what I use. The NCE D13SRJ (about $15 when discounted) also works well. The TCS T1 (about $20 discounted) is the best of the bunch as far as motor control and features.

Last edited by a moderator:

What I was getting at is that if the engine pulls a lot of cars then you will have to start looking at the amp rating of the decoder as the harder the motor pulls the more amps it will use. From what I have seen most European stuff has traction tires to so the loco wont just sit and spin if for some reason it stalls, it will just stop and the motor will pull more amperage then as if it was slipping. This is one reason I try to order spare wheelsets without traction tires to avoid problems. With these you can most likely use a smaller N scale decoder which has a smaller rating but it wont be a problem. As for decoder choices I prefer NCE but I do use others that fit my needs.

As for what I have For European stuff. I have a few DB Electric locos, A 12 car ICE1 Passenger set, ICE3 set, a couple railbuses, some trams, and a couple HOe Narrow Gauge locos. Most is ROCO, ICE1 is Fleischmann, ICE3 is Trix (Marklin 2 rail), and I have a few older items from LIMA.

Where do you live? If you're in the united states and you paid $68 for 3 decoders, they better be really nice decoders! (what brand and model?)

Bachmann decoders are VERY basic and lack certain features (such as speed adjustments). The Digitrax DH123 (about $15 when discounted) are what I use. The NCE D13SRJ (about $15 when discounted) also works well. The TCS T1 (about $20 discounted) is the best of the bunch as far as motor control and features.

Keep in mind for ease of installation you want a decoder that will plug in to the 8 pin socket on the loco board. Some of these decoders have a 9pin plug and you will need an adapter to the 8 pin socket or do some soldering. Most decoders with the 8 pin will cost a few dollers more then the ones without but will be easier to install.

I see, where can I get the best price by bulk on these ? I've spent a couple hours looking, gotta be pretty dumb at finding it...lol

Oh, how long do they last, how many hours of service, approximately, because the following sounds weird, or funny, at least to me ? So once it's blown, I get a new one for 12 bees ? I may get it all wrong ? lol ! ?

" Special Offer
Send in any manufacturer's HO or N Scale damaged decoder with $10.00 plus $2.00S&H and we will replace the decoder with one of NCE's finest replacements! Home Support, assistance, and comradery are available at the following email groups:"

Back