Design Question

Yeah, that's the checklist that I mentioned. Yes, Jos and Chip are doing a great job, but I'm sure all would welcome the ideas from someone that has been in the hobby for 35+ years and seen and done as much as you have.;) :) Even those of us that are not directly involved look for new or better ideas when following a thread like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's the checklist that I mentioned. Yes, Jos and Chip are doing a great job, but I'm sure all would welcome the ideas from someone that has been in the hobby for 35+ years and seen and done as much as you have.;) :) Even those of us that are not directly involved look for new or better ideas when following a thread like this.

...Agreed...

Hey Jos where's my 3d drawing:confused: :confused:

attachment.php

Just kidding.:D :D

Looks really good

Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
t(h)ree, D( elay)

KenNZRMac You asked for it:eek: ....you'll get it;) ... but give me some days...I was working on it( the part with the mine buildings against the mountain/hill...
I had to put it in the "fridge"for some days because I have a new order:D :D to make/built some big old oak trees...and the plan of Nick b took me some time...
so it is on its way

Jos

Jos that's an awesome looking drawing, I don't know if I have the skills to do that kind of scenery. Thanks everyone again for helping on this, it was suggested that I post the checklist so I will post it this evening when I get home from work.

Jos that's an awesome looking drawing, I don't know if I have the skills to do that kind of scenery.

Of course you can do that kind of scenery. ITts not skills so much as knowing what to do. There's nothing you can do to screw it up that can't be fixed and there are lots of people around here that can help you figure out what to do.

There's nothing you can do to screw it up that can't be fixed and there are lots of people around here that can help you figure out what to do.

I hope your right about that:D I still have no idea which design I want to do more. I like your's Chip with all the action in the yards but I like Jos's with the longer running continous train possibility. Man this is going to take some serious thought. I keep reminding myself this is not a permanent layout and that if I build it in modules whenever I move to my permanent house I can add to the modules.

As much as you plan to take apart and put together, the chances that this layout will fit in your next space without serious modification is very slim. If you have to modify it to make it work, then you will have lost what you were trying to acheive in the first place.

If you truely want something that you can build and drop into your next place, you need to think smaller and have multiple ways that you can link it up with a larger layout. You would not believe the difficulty I had working the 42 x 54" section of my 4 x 8 into a sensible larger plan.

You can probably come close to finishing a 4 x 8, honing your skills and learning what you like and dislike about the hobby in doing so.

On the other hand, neither Jos's plan or mine can be built in 2 years of 20 hour hobby weeks--and the chances that you have the space you are using in the next house with the same access is pretty small.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, just give you something to think about.

So you need to decide how you want to play it. You have the potential to waste a lot of money and marital good graces by over-building if it won't work in the next space.

That is understandable, I would really like to do a nice layout but my place is currently a small rent house. I'm biding time until my wife finishes school then we'll probably move and buy a house. That is why I was looking into something modular due to the ease of moving it. I didn't want something over complicated as far as decorating. My main thought is to get something up and running with a few industries and a yard so as I can figure out what I like and then hopefully addon to it later whenever I have a permanent house to live in. Your layout design I think would work for that, although it has a lot more track then Jos's I believe it would be easier in the since of at least getting the track up and running to move some trains around on and I could decorate as I go. Does this sound right??

Let me put it this way.

I have a 23 x 30 ft basement. If all the stuff were taken out, there is not one place that your layout design would fit--modular or not. There are heaters, laundry hook-ups, stairs, and support posts to consider.

Are you going to shop for homes based upon whether or not your layout will fit?

A well-designed 4 x 8 or 2 x 8 switching layout will give you a lot of satisfaction, can be added to a larger design, and will take more than the time you have to build. And it can be moved.

Are you going to shop for homes based upon whether or not your layout will fit?

Well I shopped for a rent house that my big reef tank would fit in :D

Your right though, I guess I could just stick to a 4x8 or something similar. I wished I would have bought N scale stuff but I already had quite a bit of HO stuff when I was younger and thought it would be cheaper to add to it. Hmm oh well back to the old drawing board.

I have a confession to make. On the way to work, I figured a way I could get your layout plan in my basement. That doesn't change the point.

Is continuous running important to you? The reason I ask is that a shelf 2.5 x 8 layout would easier to work into a well thought out layout than a 4 x 8. In either case, with your space you could work in temporaty staging that could be detatched from the rest of the layout. It is staging that is the key to interesting operations.

In fact, a 2. x 8 switching/interchange layout with staging on both sides could be run for hours without dupication of operations. This could then easily be dropped into a larger layout when the time comes with no loss of labor or money. The main thing is you will have learned what it is you like or dislike about MR by doing.

Ok you got me interested in a 2.5x8 switching layout. Especially since I could integrate it into a larger layout in the future. I'm all ears and eyes for ya Chip.

My last layout was a switching layout...Started with a 4x8 sheet and cut like 2x6 from and moved that to the end to make a "L" shape...I then used Walthers barge and dock to bring loads on and off the layout...Its a great concept for small areas...if you have a little more room to work with here is a 2x12 that you could probably down size some if you don't have the full 12 ft.http://www.thortrains.net/4holayg.html

That's an awesome looking 2x12 layout, I know a switching layout would be the best thing for me right now as far as size wise but I still would like to have a train running continously. What about a dog bone shape layout??I'm still open though to switching. Just a lot to think about.

It's all about looking at your priorities. Rank them.

Portability
Switching
Operations
Continuous running.
How it will fit into a larger layout in the future.
Engine size.
Types of Industry
Scenery
Rail-fanning.

You have to decide which ones are most important to you.

I like continuous running a lot. But it doesn't look as good as the rest of the layout when it becomes part a larger layout. Again. It's just part of your decision process.

I too like continous running, and I see where your coming from about the layout not looking good when merged with a larger layout. I guess I could do a switching layout to start off with. I have 3'x78" very nice plywood board that a friend just gave me.

Don't limit you thinking to the piece of plywood you have, rather what you can do in the space you have. Plywood is the least expensive part of the layout. I would cut that in half and use it for the two staging yards.

:rolleyes: Hmm,yea I was thinking of doing that with board to be honest. Just got to figure out the main part of the layout whether I should do a simple switching yard or layout that has some continous run to it. Decisions, decisions.

Back