Design Question

Nick, don't be in a hurry to design your layout. I worked on my design daily for about 4 months before being happy with a starting point. Since the construction began, there have been several major reworks and modifications to each of these with it getting better all the time. Heck, I have +1000 feet of track down and now thinking about working in a new town location within the existing design. One thing that will help you on ideas is to visit and study web sites of other layout designs. NMRA has a very good list of links to home layouts of all descriptions and sizes. http://www.cwrr.com/nmra/Layout-HO1.html Take an idea from one and then another and see if you can make it fit your layout. Sometimes all you have to do is shorten track or add a curve, or ...

Some like to have all the "i's" dotted before starting on a layout, but there is another approach that is just as successful. Work out a basic design that in general will do what you want for the train routes,scenery/grades, and industry you have in mind. Then get started on the construction with the mainlines. Install major turnouts where needed and where you are certain you will have a siding/spur. Areas that are still under consideration can be added later. (It is very easy to add turnouts if you have a Dremel.) As you go along new ideas will come and a better view of how things fit will be more apparent. Try to always think ahead and give everything careful thought. Remember that sometimes the vision in our minds and the design on paper will make it fit, but doesn't always match up to the actual "look" we expected on the layout.

Suggestion for structure locations: The one thing I quickly learning near the beginning was to assemble my building kits first, place them in the general location on the benchwork and then designed the action around them. Several of my industries were done by using templates first and although everything fit, didn't always look right and I had to redo the design.

EDIT: Since this was after you posted about doing it in modules, I would design the overall layout in a general way to maintain continuity, but then concentrate and in detail on the modules you can build now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like the shape of my layout overall and I feel I could add modules of the end of it later on. I'm just not sure how to develop action into a layout. I've been playing around with layouts for a little while now. Just started in with actually putting them down in xtrkcad. I still don't have a good feel for what would be good action, which I guess is something that comes with time. I might try re-working my initial L-shape layout.

The more and more I look at the editing done by jbaako the more I like that layout. Does the revision he did on my layout have enough promise of action do you guys think?? I can add staging off to the left of the L shape hidden behind some hills I plan to model in. I just think the L-shap would be the easiest for me to get started with, keep the wife happy on the cost and hopefully enough action for me until I move in the next year or two and will have more permanent room to add on to.

I like the changes that you made jbaako, looks like a good idea. I see where your coming from Chip but the right now this is layout is going into the garage of my rent house and I was going to do this in modules. Plus my wife doesn't want me to make a huge layout and I had trouble convincing her that this current design wouldn't be that bad to make as far as size wise goes. I guess I could make a it a longer and narrower that way I can reach the back of the layout would 3ft be to wide??? If anyone else has a better idea on a layout I'm completely open as long as it's not HUGE :)

Try an experiment. Go to your kitchen table and measure back 36" Now put a piece of rolling stock about 2" in front of that. Now take a glass of water and put it on the edge of the table next to you. Take can of something about the size of an HO tree and put next to the car so that you have to reach over it. Now get down on your knees as if the table was at layout height. If you can get the car without spilling the water, then 36" is okay.

Is the reason for modules so you can break it down to move?

Yea that's the main reason for the modules is that I know for sure in a year or two I will be moving.

Yea that's the main reason for the modules is that I know for sure in a year or two I will be moving.

Then I would design a smaller layout. I've spent two years and over $2000 on my 4x8 and I still have a ways to go. It's more than likely you will want something totally different in two years anyway. Save your money, hone your skills, learn what you like about model railroading.

A well designed 4 x 8 with a 1 x 8 staging yard attached can give you plenty of action.

What do recommend for smaller then?? Because when I look at the stuff I want to include in a layout for me I don't think I could establish that on a 4x8 with a lot of action. I think my L-shape honestly would work if I just narrowed a few places down instead of having the track so wide and that would also free up some room for some hidden staging behind some scenery that I could do. I'll rework it this evening and document the areas fairly well and submit to see what everyone thinks.

I think this would be a good time to define what you think action is.

A model railroad like the real thing has a purpose. "Action" is the fulfillment of that purpose. It is too easy to think of action as a little switching here, a little there, build a train in the yard and go drop off a car. Without purpose, you run the risk of that becoming as boring as running laps.

So I'll ask again? What does action mean to you?

You said you have a list of things you want. What are they? And more importantly, how does the "action" and your "wants" fit your vision?

Shall we ask Jos to get in on the action?
:Josh wrote.....till yet only reading it....;)
Hello Nick B, Chip , Josh and Rex... I think( I know 100% shure! Chip and Rex are right...The "main problem" for you Nick B is the( main) subject, what do you want to operate, to drive , era, steam, diesel, long vehicles or short( lumber..) There are so many "questions" to answer first!.:eek:
As Chip wrote: we can design a very fine layout for you BUT is that the layout you want in a cople of years...( it WILL take that time!!) and a lot of money. We all know that because we went throuhg it too.:eek:
So be patience. and try to make a, like Rex wrote,a basic design and go on with it/ start with it. You will/shall learn skills that will ,may be, make you changhe some parts of the design because they( skills) improve!! This proces continues...year after year. With other words: you are getting better and better Nick. So it is like the never ending story...?;)
Try too to make a sketch but i think I will stick to a "simple" trackplan because the room is not big to model real long/large trains like today..etc

Jos

That's true, and I do realize that this is a beginner layout for me. I want to model the 50's and have a few industries to contribute to the action. I saw on the walthers site this really nice looking ore mine and lumber mill and maybe some other small factory. I currently have a few locos that I can use on this layout. I have a 4-8-4 and a GE 70 ton switcher. Along with a few early diesels that I can use. I appreciate everyone's advice on this, everybody has been a big help in giving me ideas and suggestions. Hopefully sometime soon I can start laying some track and get a few locos moving:)

Nick B Moving a few locos is number one in top of the list of :"easy things to do" in MRR!( LOL) with a litle bit of the truth init.....

Jos

Nick,

Check with your wife and see if she can live with this configuration. Basically, I just split the 5 foot section and moved it forward.

lshape01.gif

Oops!

I do like the idea of a C-shaped layout, I'll have to see what supplies I have and what I'll need to get for that, I may need to make it a little less wide from the operator are to the edge of the layout 96 to 36 that makes it 60", that's a bit far for my reach. I was thinking of 30" would be better.

I do like the idea of a C-shaped layout, I'll have to see what supplies I have and what I'll need to get for that, I may need to make it a little less wide from the operator are to the edge of the layout 96 to 36 that makes it 60", that's a bit far for my reach. I was thinking of 30" would be better.

The materials should be about the same as what you had before with the plan I have the size has increased only 3 sq.ft and you won't need plywood everywhere.

Since there is not wall on that side, I assumed you could walk around if trouble arose. It will not be a high maintenance area.

I assumed that all sides would have access except the wall. That is why I asked.

Yea that's true I like the idea of the design. What do you mean that I wouldn't need plywood every where though??

Turntable

Well could you answer me this quick question which would shape would allow for the most realistic mountains and grades?? Or is that something else I have to draw up?? If so I'll make up a few quick sketches tonight. On a side note for a turntable how big of one do I need for my 4-8-4 steam locomotive. I've only been able to find the ones that are for 90' scale size. Thanks again
Nick

Hi Nick
If this is any help. This is a photo of my 4X6X4 NYC Hudson on a 90' turntable. It fits but over hangs on both ends.

NYC_George

View attachment 5762

plan X

Hi Nick,

It is a litle bit late but I made this plan before I read the replys with Chip about the ideas for a module layout and before I knew that there was only a wall at one side......
So I post it anyway maybe it can give you some hints/tips or some new ideas about your layout.
I've situated the layout in a area with mountains because of the many curves( There must be a reason for the curves, that's way...)
I was thinking of small/short locos and trains/cars. Also because of the tight curves. I think that it wouldn't look real when you see a 60 feet freightcar in model, scweesing through a narrow curve...Of course this is how I think about it...:eek:
Under the railwaystation is a reverse loop and 1 staging track....so far...:confused: ;)

Jos

Back