Design Help

No luck

I did not have any luck opening it either. However, I printed it out and am drawing with 3rd Planit with a few modifications. These plans have really given me some new ideas. When I get something reasonable I'll post it.

Still working on it

Grove Den, I have a question about your plan. The helix going to the staging yard what grade is it and how many turns? I think you noted it on the drawing but, it is hard to for me to make out. Also, do you think I will be able to find a curved bridge in n scale? Your plan is very good. I would want the main line to carry on from the passenger station thru the wall with a duck under at the door. Running the train into the station like it is now would require running around the train with the engines to exit. I would rather be able to continue on around the layout. I am currently working on drawing this sketch into my computer. How would you suggest doing the passenger station part, would you create a duck under or would you loop the track back over the lake?

I'm having fun working on this. Thanks for the help.

Industry Stub

SpaceMOuse

On your computer drawn plan I have a question. The track leading to the industry stub in the middle of the room. What grade is it? Does the track go over or under? I've been working on this plan as well. Right now I'm working on making the yard more of a through yard and I'm trying to extend the industry track on the bottom to carry around to the doorway providing a place for an interchange point. I'll be working on both of these plans for a few days, I'm having fun working them out. I'm kinda thinking that the staging area would be better on a lower level the problem is getting the train down to a lower level. Anyway, thanks for the help.

arjoland: The grade has to be 2% and I will post you a.s.a.p.( this weekend) a rough draft/scetch of the helix at the right top of the drawing as well on the left bottm of the layout.incl. the hights in cm/inches.
About the pass.station: When I make it in the way that trains won't have to stop here but can drive continious, I think the tracks for the trains( engine + pass.cars are to small: May be one engine and only 2or 3 pass. cars as a maximum...
About the duck under I'll have an idea...!! Will draw that too this weekend!( passengertrains are part of the traffic on the layout too) BTW how long will be the longest pass. train on your layout because it has to fit in your pass. station...on the shelf in your office in the future....?

Arjoland: It is fun designing, isn't it!!
I like this part of the mrr at most because you can let go your dreams....
I know too that reality will bring me back with both feet to earth;) ha ha but that is almost 2 weeks later....enjoy it!!

Jos

SpaceMOuse

On your computer drawn plan I have a question. The track leading to the industry stub in the middle of the room. What grade is it? Does the track go over or under? I've been working on this plan as well. Right now I'm working on making the yard more of a through yard and I'm trying to extend the industry track on the bottom to carry around to the doorway providing a place for an interchange point. I'll be working on both of these plans for a few days, I'm having fun working them out. I'm kinda thinking that the staging area would be better on a lower level the problem is getting the train down to a lower level. Anyway, thanks for the help.

There is no grade there. It is a crossing--I think a 60 degree.

This is a personal preference. The staging yard is where a lot of changing of cars happens. It is hard enough for me to get the wheels on in n-scale when they are at eye-level. But to reach in over two tracks to a third, get your fingers in between the fourth, and re-rail a car you can only see at an angle in the dark is asking a lot. I prefer staging with very good access. Sometimes I can "feel" a car on in HO. I can't in N. Putting the staging in the office was a good solution in my mind.

But don't take my word for this. Layout three tracks. Put some cars out and re-rail a car in the middle. Try it from as many angles as you can. Have your son try it as well. Then you will know your capabilities and needs. You can get tools to help. But the cars in the middle are the problem.

I see your point

I see your point. In this layout there just is not enough room to have an nice staging area below the layout. Your solution of having the staging in the office does seem to be the best solution. I agree they need to be where you can get to them. I'm going through the catalogs right now and picking out structures that I will use on the layout. Then I'm going to tweak the tracks a little. Thanks for the input.

I see your point. In this layout there just is not enough room to have an nice staging area below the layout. Your solution of having the staging in the office does seem to be the best solution. I agree they need to be where you can get to them. I'm going through the catalogs right now and picking out structures that I will use on the layout. Then I'm going to tweak the tracks a little. Thanks for the input.

How about signing with your first name. Nancy didn't work so well. I guess I could call you AJ.

Got rid of Nancy

Yes, the Nancy does seem to throw people off. I changed it to the territory I'm going to model. The Central of GA RR which is now part of Norfolk Southern. You can call me AJ that is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
here the plan of the helix at the right top of the drawing and the one at the left bottom..

Also a drawing I made from the "layout" .A kind of 3D picture..
Here you can see the pass. mainline "coming out" your office( at the right in the corner) it goes in a wide curve to the left( in front of the door) and than goes further to the yard and industrytracks...
Under the "mountain" I've hide the helix to lead the tracks to level: - 16 and further to level -30: staging yard+ reverse loop to turn the trains otherwise they cannot get back to the pass. station at the office.

Jos

Very nice

Great drawing. I'm working on recreating this plan using my 3rd Planit software. This could be a very nice layout. I will have to take a good look at the helixes and come up with a good way to build them. It would need superb track work installation to try and limit derailments. I try and post the 3rd planit file when I'm done. It will take me a few days. I'm not an expert with the program but, I'm learning.

Again, I like your vision and your art work. Thank you for taking the time to help me out along with SpaceMouse. I will hopefully finalize a plan here in the next couple of weeks and get started on some bench work.

Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

Back