Derelict structures

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
I want to construct two derelict structures - The base of an old water tower as seen in the first two shots and a single engine shed version like the one in the third shot. Note it has shingles on the side of it.

I think the engine shed will be the easiest, but I need to get that sagging look, which I think I can do with shingles on the side of the structure. The front of the structure and door will be a challenge though. Anyone out there with experience making a structure saggy and derelict looking?

Does anyone know of a make of realistic HO scale peel and stick shingles I can use for the side of a structure? Also flexible stone sheets?

The farmhouse is a Campbell kit, assembled as per instructions. The garage was scratchbuilt using photos of a local prototype.

Also flexible stone sheets?

For the base of the water tower I wouldn't use brick sheets, you're better off at getting a brick grain silo and cutting the base out of the silo. I have seen a few out there, also I do believe someone makes a water tower kit similar to the one photographed

Old Stone Foundation

I used "OIL DRY" as a base of an old foundation on my layout. The pieces are randon in size and I used white glue to attach them. Another choice could be Woodland Scenics "Talus" that is available in various sizes. Using the Oil Dry materials, I merely made the suggestion of an old foundation and many people see it, but it is very simple and blends into the landscape.

You could use an old toilet tissue cardboard roll as the form for your water tower platform or make one out of cardboard for a closer to scale foundation.

Greg

Shingles

Oh, by the way, check Walther's on line site for a selection of shingles. It also possible to make your shingles out of construction paper and weather to suit.

Greg :)

I used "OIL DRY" as a base of an old foundation on my layout. The pieces are randon in size and I used white glue to attach them. Another choice could be Woodland Scenics "Talus" that is available in various sizes. Using the Oil Dry materials, I merely made the suggestion of an old foundation and many people see it, but it is very simple and blends into the landscape.

You could use an old toilet tissue cardboard roll as the form for your water tower platform or make one out of cardboard for a closer to scale foundation.

Greg

Oil Dry is an absorbent product?

Do you have any pics to share of your foundation?

I have this cardboard roll that is 3" in diameter and a little over 2" in height; it might work gluing stones to it.

Oil Dry

In the next several days, I'll get the "Oil Dry" brand name information and a picture of the stone foundation. The foundation isn't very large or significant, but suggests that at one time there was a structure in that location.

But, I think for your modeling of a water tower foundation, the Oil Dry or Talus will work great.

Greg

Chooch products

That's the first time I've seen the Chooch flexible stone wall material. Should be easier and quicker that my Oil Dry suggestion.

Got to get some for my layout.

Greg

Oil Dry is an absorbent product?

Do you have any pics to share of your foundation?

I have this cardboard roll that is 3" in diameter and a little over 2" in height; it might work gluing stones to it.
For cardboard i just use DAS modeling paste over it and carved it
.It go on easy
.easy to carved the brick/stone with a x-actor knife or a pin
.here a link about making something out of it i have no picture of model i did with it.u see how easy it is to use .

That's the first time I've seen the Chooch flexible stone wall material. Should be easier and quicker that my Oil Dry suggestion.

Got to get some for my layout.

Greg

It seems to be neat stuff. So much to order and so much to make.

For cardboard i just use DAS modeling paste over it and carved it
.It go on easy
.easy to carved the brick/stone with a x-actor knife or a pin
.here a link about making something out of it i have no picture of model i did with it.u see how easy it is to use .

Thanks! I'll check out the links.

Back