Derelict builds - Best way to make 'em?

KB02

I have a structure I am planning on building on my layout that I have decided is going to be run down and abandoned. What would you all think is the best way to build it? Built it AS a derelict building, or build it up properly and then "Weather" it?

Depends on what you consider "derelict". If its so derelict that it is structurally unsound, then you will need to incorporate that before you build it. If its just heavily used and not occupied, then no.

If you want part of the roof collapsing or part of a wall knocked out or the building leaning, that has to be done before construction.

I do agree with Dave, it does depend on what you regard as being derelict. As he mentioned, something can be seen as derelict but still being occupied or, it can be abandoned and derelict. Each would need to be treated differently to the other. It will also depend on what the kit is made from, styrene/ABS or Wood.

My thoughts would be to build the kit in accordance with the instructions, perhaps leaving out a window and/or door or putting them in crooked etc, then weather it to suit. If you don't like the end result, you then have the option of "breaking it" to make it look more derelict.

If you don't like the end result, you then have the option of "breaking it" to make it look more derelict.

I like that. I'll keep that in mind. ;)

I am thinking about a scratch built round house. Balsa being the primary media. When I scratch built my turn table, I was pretty happy with the way it looks, but the operations leaves something to be desired. The end result is that it doesn't get used a lot. I would like to get one of the Walthers 110' turntables and use it in a different location, but then would feel bad that I put all the work into something just to throw it out. Then I saw a video of the Amherst Model Railroad show and one of the featured layouts had an abandoned roundhouse on it. Stunning piece of modeling! This video kind of shows it at the 13:30 mark:
I doubt I'd be able to get anywhere close to that level, but I think it would be really fun to try.

Found a good picture of it:
MODEL%20ROUNDHOUSE%20SCENE.jpg

That's an AWESOME build?
Take a fair amount of talent to make something look that bad... intentionally. :)

Actually, I started building a new frame to replace the cardboard roundhouse I have in place now. I've been thinking now that maybe I'll "Burn Down" the old structure and start "Rebuilding" it as the model project. We'll see. Lots of ideas swimming around.

Back