Depressed Center

max diyer

Being a big fan of depressed centers, I just finished up a scratch-built HO, except for the lettering. The frame is wood, the floor is 24 gauge sheet metal. The side gussets, tie-down brackets & brake wheel are plastic sheet. The stirrups and grab handles are copper wire. I installed Kadee 100-ton trucks & #5 couplers. I modeled it after a old Pennsy.
20181219_173058.jpg

Railrunner - no, not really. I used wood from a small pallet I picked up, somewhere. Not sure of the species, but it is light. The sheet metal is also light. It would be interesting to put it on a scale, but I don't have one.

Tom - I'm planning on a motor armature, if I can figure out how to lighten it up. If not, I'll probably build a transformer.

I have a similar car that I purchased at a train show. It's probably built out of balsa and I've weighted it, but it's still too light.

Maybe yours is thick enough to drill holes in and fill with weights?

Railrunner - I haven't weighed it, but I estimate it to be slightly heavier than the average car. It pulls well in either direction, so I'm going to leave as is. Just out of curiosity, I'm trying to figure out the wood species. It's lighter than pine, but not light like balsa. Probably some abundant local wood of S.E. Asia.

More than likely Basswood?
Sure is a very nice looking car!
I love flats of all sizes and shapes - especially with loads.
Carry on, Sir!

Back