Demonstrator engines

Fazby

Anyone else here like demonstrators?

I have no favorite line, so I am using largely demonstrators on my layout. While it implies a fear of commitment, I am married 22 years. :)

Using demonstrators also restrains the purchasing as there just aren't all that many out there. Further, with 18" radius and an Atlas turntable, the SDs and other longer engines aren't appropriate.

Thus far:
GP30 (Bachman Spectrum)
GP60 (P2K)
RS27 (P2K)
GP38 (Athrearn RTR) - actually a lease but close enough....

Well I have a few demos...I have the following in my stable so far...

EMD #952 E8 (P2K)
EMD #5 GP60 (BB ATH)
EMD #7 GP60 (BB ATH)
EMD #100 GP7 (Atlas)
EMD #200 GP7 (Atlas)
EMD #990 SD7 (P2K)
EMD #991 SD7 (P2K)
EMD #5628 GP20 (P2K)

EMD Leasing #769 GP38-2 (BB ATH)
EMD Leasing #6047 SD40-2 (BB ATH)

Unfortunately and shame on me no Alco demos yet but I am holding out on that for all the bells and whistles and the prices to come down....

So you are not alone in liking these units...

Adding to the list - at least in HO

Alco FA/FB (Proto 2000)
FM Trainmaster TM-1, 2, 3, 4 (Atlas)
EMD #300 - GP7 (Atlas)
GP-20 (Proto 2000) - another number in addition to above.

I've always liked the looks of demos, particularly the EMD and Alco jobs. Aside from the visual interest it gives me some freedom run power that my road would not normally have; the excuse being that as long as it was in the neighborhood the management decided to at least give it a trial run.

A bit off topic but still related: yesterday's news had a short mention that GM will no longer be putting its' emblem (GM) on their products. I honestly don't know if EMD is still part of GM or not but if it is then we can add the big GM to our list of fallen heralds. No more big GM on the ends of the hoods. :(

Nope, EMD and GM parted ways in 2005. GM sold EMD to a consortium of private investment firms in 2005 and is now known officially Electro-Motive Diesel, Inc. The GM name disappeared for demonstrators shortly after the sale although the company was still using the traditional blue and white demo scheme. They are now starting to change the look with the SD70M-2 in blue and yellow and the SD70ACe with turquoise striping on the blue and white scheme. As you might imagine, EMD is doing everything it can to disassociate itself in the customer's and public's minds from having anything to do with GM. :D

Nope, EMD and GM parted ways in 2005.

Jeez, you turn your back for a mere 21 years and the world you used to know is all changed. LOL. If they were still part of GM, Government Motors, EMD might now mean Even More Derailments.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Jim.

I've got an Athearn "DD40" demo. Since it's confused about weather it's a DD-35 or a DD40AX, I keep the EMD demo as a DD-40. Demo toured but was never sold...

The Athearn DD40, was based upon plans from EMD for the DD40, which never came about...

On a side note, it would be AWESOME if Athearn would release a plastic DD35.

which is about the reason behind my free-lanced RR's use of the athearn model in demo colors... it's just a slight bending of what really happened...

v&al
post up a pic of the dd40

here are my n scale demos
Picture051.png

I am addicted. Just added a SD7 and a GE U30B. Both P2K.

I now have more engines than I can properly display on my layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
So why is that a problem? LOL

Currently I have 22 engines and a Budd RDC on the layout. The engine yard has storage tracks for 8 and the service track can hold 2 more plus 1 on the turntable. Even including a couple of double headed jobs out on the main at any given time there is still engines spotted all over the place on sidings, etc.
2 display cases hold another 20 engines, 4 trolley cars and an old Mack railbus. A couple of Pacific Electric Blimps and running gear from an F7 are still in their boxes along with an O scale PCC trolley body.

One would think I have more than enough motive power. Yet every time I open a magazine or catalog or visit the LHS I find another one I just can't live without. It's madness I tell you, sheer madness! But it is fun!!!!!!

de-nile aint just a river in Egypt:D
i have close to 30 locos and about the same in rolling stock and no
lay out:(

I dont have a picture of my unit, but I found this one of a similar unit on the web:

newlayout056.jpg

I remember seeing an EMD ad for the "coming new era of locomotives" and it had an artist's rendering of the DD-40 in just about that scheme. Sure would look impressive if I had some 40" curves to run one on. :)

I also have a Demo DD40 and a SD45 with one more of each on the way. I prefer to run all mine as a pair. I added working prime beacon and a brass 3 chime horn to the roof of my DD40, as well as LED headlight in the low position. Someday I will make the upper light a proper Gyralite, but for now its dark. Mine is the last version of the duel motor, got it from one of the local hobby shops that still has a bunch of blue box Athearn diesels. With the hood width out of scale, I suspect we will never see the DD40 again from Athearn. It would be nice to see a DD35B unit to go with the GP35's the have already done in the RTR line. I will get some pics of my demos tomorrow. Mike

I have one in the Red and silver scheme seen in Ronzzr11's post......mine is an Athearn RTR..SD60 #8301.

Back