DecoderPro: USB-to-Serial Adapter Works on Friend's System, but Not Mine

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I've been going in circles trying to use DecoderPro with my laptop. Every time I try plugging my NCE command station into the designated USB port, I get a device driver error Code 10 - "Not enough quota".

USB_COM3_Error_zps61e1d1b5.gif

For a while I thought it was because I am using a Windows 8 machine, because the vendor of my USB-to-Serial adapter only has drivers for up to Windows 7. So I brought both my laptop and the adapter over to a friend's house so he could help me troubleshoot it. He powered-on his command station (also an NCE PhPro system, same as mine), plugged it into my USB port and COM3 worked perfectly - we even brought up DecoderPro and programmed one of his locos on it. I brought my stuff back home and tried to use it with my command station.

It gives me the same f*****g device driver error as before!
smiley-angry032.gif

I did everything exactly as my friend did, in the same order, and it still doesn't work? At least now I can rule out Windows 8 as the culprit. The only thing I can think of now is that my command station itself is frying my COM port device driver.

Anybody have any ideas..?

[EDIT] BTW - I posted a question about the "not enough quota" error on the JMRI Users Group message board last week, but nobody replied.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's another thread about this type of issue, have a look for it, you may have to reinstall the drivers. Why it would work on another but not yours, who knows...

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

I would really like to help you but the Code 10 you are getting is a very generic error. I would suggest you look at the Windows Error Logs found in the Administrator Tools. Start with the System Logs and go from there. If it is working on a Friends PC and not yours tells me it's specific to your computer.

As a note, just because it works on another computer doesn't mean much unless the hardware (PC) is an exact duplicate with the exact same software installed. Also, since the driver is made for Windows 7, well, you need to be aware that Windows 8 handles things rather differently than Windows 7.

I have not tried the USB adapter from NCE although it is on my list of things to do. I have NCE gear and want to get it up and going so I can use TCB. I have put it lower on my list for a few reasons. The main one is because the USB adapter from NCE can only do so much and lacks some of the more sophisticated functions. You also might try a USB to COM port converter and try that. The converter is rather cheap and that is the route I am going to take when I finally get to this. If you are using a notebook, you might not even have a COM port so that may not be an option.

Just my .02 and good luck to you. I wish I could do more. Being an IT guy, I am staying away from Windows 8 because of all the problems with it and the fact, well, I just do not like it lol
. All my boxes are Windows 7.

Hey Ken,

I wish I could help you as well, but if our resident IT guy can not do it then it is out of my league as well.

Have you contacted NCE?
Phone: 585-265-0230
email: support@ncecorporation.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Web: http://www.ncedcc.com/customer-care.html

They are fast to respond by email and happy to help over the phone from my 1 time phone call experience.

I wish you well and try not to let this get to you.

... You also might try a USB to COM port converter and try that. The converter is rather cheap and that is the route I am going to take when I finally get to this. ...
That is precisely what I did, I bought a Sabrent USB-to-Serial adapter. It creates a virtual 'COM3' whenever I plug it into that specific USB port. And I can't count the number of times I've reinstalled the device driver - always the same result.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

... Being an IT guy, I am staying away from Windows 8 because of all the problems with it and the fact, well, I just do not like it lol . All my boxes are Windows 7.
Trust me, when I bought this computer back in December I looked in all the local stores for a Windows 7 machine and there were none to be found. I had no choice but to use this piece of crap, or buy from some faceless online seller without any tech support.

Ok. I feel your frustration.

If this were me, I would get my hands on a copy of Windows 7 as a start. Now, so you don't have to buy a complete (read expensive) copy of Windows 7, do you happen to have the install media for Vista or even XP? If so, you could get away with an upgrade version of Windows 7 in the flavor of your choice (Home, Pro, Ultimate).

We purchased my daughter a notebook last year and had trouble finding Windows 7 like you did. I took it on the chin and got a copy of Windows 7 at the same time. She likes to play some games and uses some drawing programs and I wasn't going to support Windows 8 with that in the mix.

I have decided that when I purchase new hardware (PC), the OS is just going to have to be figured into the cost/decision making process. As a note, I couldn't be happier that MS fired the guy that was head of the Win8 debacle.

... As a note, I couldn't be happier that MS fired the guy that was head of the Win8 debacle.
Oh, did they now? Interesting... if they would only get rid of Steve Ballmer as well, then I'd feel like justice was done!

I may swing by BestBuy after work and see about nuking Win8 and replacing it with Win7.

Oh, did they now? Interesting... if they would only get rid of Steve Ballmer as well, then I'd feel like justice was done!

I may swing by BestBuy after work and see about nuking Win8 and replacing it with Win7.

The only HUGE warning I can give you is make sure you can get drivers for all the devices on your hardware. I was given a notebook earlier this year at a client of mine that had Win8 on it by default. It was a Dell notebook made for Win8 in mind. I installed Win7 and had to look all over to find drivers for most of it myself since Dell had no support for it. It took a day or two but I finally got all of it working BUT two of the USB ports. I got by with the one USB 1.0 port. Since this is your sticking point getting the USB's to function, I'd do all my due diligence up front to make sure before making that leap. This might help too...

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...16.0....0...1c.1.27.hp..0.25.1432.d9kr6V0_z4w

They did get rid of Steve Ballmer! Like just few weeks ago. About time, never like that guy anyways.

The only HUGE warning I can give you is make sure you can get drivers for all the devices on your hardware. ... Since this is your sticking point getting the USB's to function, I'd do all my due diligence up front to make sure before making that leap.

WHOA..! Looks like the risks would outweigh the benefits, thanks for sharing those links. What I may end up doing in the meantime, before I can afford to get myself a Mac, is buy a 'junk' computer with XP on it for the sole purpose of running JMRI software. Redundant, I know, but I really want to start using DecoderPro.

This just in: kbkchooch lives in my area, he's offered to let me try connecting my PhPro to his 'puter to see if the command station is the source of failure.

WHOA..! Looks like the risks would outweigh the benefits, thanks for sharing those links. What I may end up doing in the meantime, before I can afford to get myself a Mac, is buy a 'junk' computer with XP on it for the sole purpose of running JMRI software. Redundant, I know, but I really want to start using DecoderPro.

This just in: kbkchooch lives in my area, he's offered to let me try connecting my PhPro to his 'puter to see if the command station is the source of failure.

You are welcome and I hope you get it all worked out. I wish I lived close by, I could use the expierience with getting the computer interfaces working with MRR'ing.

Well that should be plenty. What does the Device Manager have to say about the driver for the device. Did it install OK. Windows 7 warns you when a device driver was signed, Windows 8 prevents it from installing.

... What does the Device Manager have to say about the driver for the device. ...
It shows exactly what is in the graphic I embedded in my opening post. (Not enough quota, etc etc...)

I don't see any warnings about device drivers being signed; but if I try to install one from a vendor's CD without first deleting the old one, it tells me that the "existing driver is the most up-to-date" and won't install the new one.

Well everything I checked says to increase the size of your paging file. What are the current settings for that?

That's a "negative" on that, RC; I got it from a CD that came bundled with the adapter.

Ok. Now maybe we are getting somewhere (maybe not). Look here...

http://www.ncedcc.com/component/vir...ypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=1&product_id=73

Note the download location for drivers that may be updated. The driver at the download site is dated December 11, 2012 per these release notes:

http://www.silabs.com/Support Documents/Software/CP210x_VCP_Windows_Release_Notes.txt

Back