decoder

flatbutt56

I have a early 1960's Riverrossi 2-8-8-2 . Can I install a decoder in it ? What type should I install and just exactly how should I install it?:confused:

I haven't done a Riverrossi, :confused: but the Motor is going to have to be totally isolated from the frame, as is the case with most Steam Engines of that era. Most likely the decoder would be mounted in the tender. You will need to isolate the headlight, with it's own set of wires, the motor, and probably have to determine where the power pickup is. You will probably only need a two function decoder, as there aren't too many special features unless you want sound. That would be a different story. Digitrax, Lenz, NCE and TMI would be your best bet. Hope this helps, It is not going to be an easy task, and not knowing if you have done anything like this before would not recommend this as a starter project.

What might be better than trying to isolate the motor that's in it, which really isn't that hard, is to go ahead and replace the motor with a modern can motor. When isolating a motor, the most important thing is to isolate the brushes from the motor frame. But because this is an older Rivarossi, it has a three pole motor, very much notorious for poor running at slower speeds. Even with DCC, it will not run that much better. Get a similar sized can motor from Northwest Shortline; http://www.nwsl.com . You will have to cut down some of the engine's frame to get it to fit and shorten the drive tube from the motor to the first gear tower, easily done by cutting the length, and connecting the cut end to the motor with a short piece of neoprene or silicone fuel tubing,(model airplane fuel tubing), placing the uncut end into the gear tower, then installing and programing the decoder. As to paying to have a decoder installed, I can't help you as I've always installed them myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
flatbutt,

Judging from what I have read hear, your looking at anywhere from 75 to 100, not including the motor and the decoder. That is a ball park number, Do you have a LHS in your area who does this kind of work?

Bob.

Grumpybob, i take the LHS is Lionel Hobby shop. Well yes there are several in the area but i know of individual's that could place me down to a rebuilder if i choose to do so. This unit belonged to Daddy Flatbutt rest his soul and if by chance it was screwed up by someone's else's hand's i would never forgive myself. SO , i may just toss it around a little more in my thought's before i go any futher with it! comment's sir ???

I repowered a Mantua 4-6-2 with a helix humper can motor.
http://www.alliancelink.com/alp/

adx.sized.jpg

I've yet to do anything with the decoder probably a Tsunami.

Ken.

Ken , how do i go about locating a new can motor for the 2-8-8-2 Riverrossi i have ? Any website have this sort of info that i am looking for ? Remember this engine is early 60's . Have a rough of the cost ?
George In Atlanta Georgia
USA

To be honest a friend in the States (Knewsom) gave me the Mantua and the motor, so I'm not sure where their from.

Your in a better place to ring some people than me. I'm sure the Helix Humper guys could help.

Ken.

Back