decoder size question

Ok, I am pretty sure I saw this answered in another thread but could not find it. I have an athearn s-12 that I want to put a digitrax decoder in. I tried to use the DH123 but there was not enough room in the locomotive for the decoder. I was wondering if I could use the DZ123 instead or if the z scale decoder is too small. There is a reference on the digitrax site for the athearn switchers to use this decoder but I wondered if anyone has any experience to tell me if this decoder is sufficient for this locomotive. Thanks!

Yes it is. Our club has put several of these decoders into tight spaces in diesels, and they have worked well. This is from the Digitrax online product listing for the DZ125 "Tiny Decoder, 1 Amp Fits in Z, N & HO Locomotives" Emphasis is mine.

Yep, thats the spot i was talking about that said that it would work but i just wanted to make sure :D I accidentally fried one decoder last night because there wasn't enough room in there and i didn't have one of the headlight leads insulated well enough i didnt want to fry another one because it was too small. Thanks for confirming this for me!

Decoder Install

Yes, that decoder will work in the your locomotive. Install it in the cab of the loco. I asked the same question to Digitrax and confirmed the decoder selection.

However, if the loco is a Proto 2K, you will have to insolate the motor from the frame to prevent a short (burned out decoder) :confused: if the loco derails.

Tony's Train's website has a tech tip on this subject.

Thanks.

Greg

Thanks! I do have the motor isolated from the frame (it's an old athearn bb) and the first decoder only shorted out because I crossed the headlight leads. It didn't destroy the decoder, just the light functions. I have the decoder on order and hopefully will pick it up this week!

Back