DECODER PRO AND Spectrum N Scale Train 2-8-0

cmaceeepc

Guys

This may sound like a silly question but why cant I pickup my Spectrum N Scale 2-8-0 Consolidation DCC Equipped C & O #705 84554 on Decoder Pro.(digitrax DCS50 and locobuffer usb)
I have been able to roster locos with TCS Z2 decoders, Digitrax decoders and LokSound decoders but the decoder in this loco refuses to roster.
Decoder Pro says there isnt a loco there!!
When I put them on my layout and run them under my NCE PowerPro it picks them up on main and program tracks.

Again I await your valued advice

cmaceeepc

As long as you're sure it isn't an issue with the loco, and it doesn't sound like it is if it runs, just select the decoder manually from the database within DecoderPro. I end up doing this for all my locos, as TCS decoders share version numbers so at best DecoderPro will only take me to the right category.

Is the train on the tracks? :p :D Maybe try different programming methods, ie- switching between "paged" and "direct". Also ensure that you don't have anything non-DCC on the track drawing power, such as lit passenger cars. Not too long ago I had problems with DecoderPro reading CVs because I had my California Zephyr set still on the tracks, even though this has never been an issue for my PowerCab.

Also make sure the loco wheels and the programming track is clean. DecoderPro doesn't like dirty track or wheels. I do a lot of programming and DCC installs for the LHS here, and 99.9% of the time that I have a problem reading or programming a loco, the track and wheels are dirty.

Cjcrescent

Yes track and wheels are extremely clean - the constant nagging by most about clean tracks and wheels has set in and I use several methods regularly - no such thing as to clean

I had not problems with any of my 15 dcc locos except for this bachmann 2-8-0
But after remembering about a post mentioning about putting a resistor across the prog tracks I got to thinking - maybe a "wet thumb".
I licked my thumb and pressed it down on the tracks felt a slight tingle and hey presto Decoder pro read the loco.
I quickly set the address and had it read the CVs

Now I have a sore thumb from pressing down for so long and a full log of the 2-8-0

Sometimes the simple things work

cmaceeepc
Craig

Sometimes the simple things work

cmaceeepc
Craig

Yes, yes they do! They do indeed! LOL:D

Seriously, I didn't even consider the motor having that low a resistance. A friend of mine, who is also a member here, WCWBrassHat, is an N scaler. He has several of the 2-8-0's, and has never mentioned having any trouble programming his.

Back