Decoder id?

Rico

BN Modeller
Greetings,
Would anyone be able to identify a decoder with the numbers (NCE) D102SR? I know it's an NCE decoder but cannot find it on any website. It also has one more wire (green from the opposite side of the others) than I've found diagrams for.
I bought a six pack of them from a fellow I see once in a blue moon but did not get instructions. I will be seeing him again before too long but thought I'd ask here.
My first project willl be installing one into a Walthers FP40, followed by a Walthers Sperry car. Anyone done this yet?
I hope to advance into sound decoders for my Athearn SD70-MAC's and SD40's.
I appreciate any sage wisdom from those who have jumped in before me!
Thanx, Rico

I think it's an older model. The extra green wire is part of the 9-pin JST connector (as opposed to the 8-pin NMRA connector).

Send a note to the customer service folks at NCE Corp, and Larry should be able to send you instructions.

Kennedy

The decoder measures 5/8ths" by 1-5/8ths"
Actually, yes contacting NCE for instructions would be a good (great) idea.
Anyone put a decoder into one of the above locos yet?
Seems pretty straight forward so far.
Thanx!

If the FP40 is a Trainline model, then it's actually pretty easy. There should be lots of room and the wiring is simplistic. Ask NCE for help when you contact them.

I did a Trainline GP9 as my first install and it was the easiest install I've ever done. Make sure you change out the lightbulbs, they're 1.5v and you either need a resistor if you keep the OEM ones, or go to a 12v bulb (which could be hot after awhile).

Kennedy

HaggisKennedy said:
Make sure you change out the lightbulbs, they're 1.5v and you either need a resistor if you keep the OEM ones, or go to a 12v bulb (which could be hot after awhile).

If you go with higher voltage bulbs, make sure they're compatible with your track voltage. We get by fine with 12v bulbs, but some folks run their systems at 14-16v. I still remember sitting our locos on the track at Rex's house and blowing the 12v bulbs! Also, as Kennedy mentioned, higher voltage bulbs get HOT. That's why most models use 1.5v bulbs. If you go with the higher voltage bulbs, a brass tube can be installed as a heat sink to prevent melting of plastic locomotive shells. There's my tip for the day. It was all learned thru the school of hard knocks...:D

Thanx guys, I'm still learning and the bulb ideas will be very handy!
Yeah the FP40 is very easy to wire, hope they all go like this!
Working my way up to a sound decoder for my Athearn SD70-MACs...
Rico

grande man said:
If you go with higher voltage bulbs, make sure they're compatible with your track voltage. We get by fine with 12v bulbs, but some folks run their systems at 14-16v. I still remember sitting our locos on the track at Rex's house and blowing the 12v bulbs! Also, as Kennedy mentioned, higher voltage bulbs get HOT. That's why most models use 1.5v bulbs. If you go with the higher voltage bulbs, a brass tube can be installed as a heat sink to prevent melting of plastic locomotive shells. There's my tip for the day. It was all learned thru the school of hard knocks...:D
Thats what happened to an SD40-2 I picked up for $5 on eBay, the whole roof of the cab was caved in because of the heat, darned seller didn't have the decency to tell... But, in return I just sold it for $25.01 with a new cab... :D

Back