Decoder for Athearn Genisis F7s?

Ron,

Soundtraxx makes a first generation EMD decoder that has a similar footprint to the board that is currently in your genesis. So it would be a swap out. As far as the speaker goes, it would probably be best mounting over the rear trucks facing downward, with a baffle cover over it. best bet is to bring the unit into your LHS and have them fit a round speaker with baffle to it. Or contact someone like Tony's train exchange.

Not sure what fit's the Stewart.

Bob A.

No board-swap for sound...

I have Athearn Genesis F7s a/b units
If you want to simply swap the analog board for a decoder, that's relatively easy. I recommend the DA-SR by NCE. If you want an easy-to-install sound system, see if Athearn is offering the hardware that they have MRC manufacture for F units - mind you, this is not really great sound hardware. Other sound decoders will be custom installations.

Last edited by a moderator:
frank,

I have two of the genesis units with the MRC Sound decoder in them. I got them at a really good price, because I liked the Athearn finish work on the engines. I also put DASR's in the others. The MRC units are at best OK, not great and they are a real pain to tune as doesn't program well. I don't know about MRC's sound decoders aftermarket, but I really wouldn't want to spend any more money on somethng that performs only so so.

Just my opinion.

Bob A.

MRC Decoders

I have two of the genesis units with the MRC Sound decoder in them. I got them at a really good price, because I liked the Athearn finish work on the engines. I also put DASR's in the others. The MRC units are at best OK, not great and they are a real pain to tune as doesn't program well. I don't know about MRC's sound decoders aftermarket, but I really wouldn't want to spend any more money on somethng that performs only so so.

I agree 100%! I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for an MRC decoder - with or without sound! It's just that if someone is looking to do a board swap, that may be the only option. Since the Soundtraxxx Tsunami for diesels isn't out yet, the best option, in my opinion, is LokSound.

Thanks guys,
I think I'll put some DASR's from NCE in for now. Any idea about an upgrade for sound later on down the tracks?

Soundtraxx makes a good Decoder for 1st generation EMD units. The decoder board is equivalent to the DASR in size and shape. I have used this same decoder on some GP's and they work and sound just fine.

Bob a.

Back