Decoder Address Question

NickB

Wannabe Engineer
Hey everyone I have a question on a problem I'm having. I have a Bachmann ge70ton switcher that has a decoder from the factory in it. I can't get it to change address though. I have a digitrax zephyr system, I set up a separate programming track and tried everything suggested in the book but it shows an error for the programming track. So I put the engine on the layout and removed all other locos and set the zephyr to program in ops mode and selected the address cv and tried programming but it just showed busy for several minutes. I know I'm programming right because I was able to program my 4-8-4's address right before I tried the switcher. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Nick

Bachmann-Zeypher

I also have this problem. I can change the address in my Bachmann decoder with my E-Z Command, but not with my Zeypher.

Some "free" advise....... Take out the "el crapo" cheapy decoder and replace it with a Digitrax or NCE or etc. that will work right. I have a Factory DCC equipped Bachmann 4-4-0. Out of the box on address #3 I had two speeds. Off and Speeding Bullet. I spent $15 on a NCE basic decoder and now without even changing any CVs (which I couldn't seem to access on the Bachmann decoder) it now runs much better. I love the USRA period Bachmann Spectrum Steam, but if it comes with a decoder (they now include crappy sound as well on many models) the first item of business is to tear it out and replace it with a good decoder. I think you will be much happier if you do.

Just my 2¢.....

Yea I'll probably do that but I was waiting till after I have more progress on my layout.

Did that with both of my 2-8-0s. Unfortunatly in my inexperiance I use MRC decoders, and one of them died. I put the Bachmann back in to test the loco and run it while waiting to get another decoder.

Back