Deciding on Stock and Locos... Help

Lecithin

I'm in the middle of building a layout (I'll have to upload some pics of the plan and phases its going through later) and I am having trouble deciding which type of loco and stock I should be running on my layout.

My layout has/is going to have a screening plant as its main attraction. I want the loco's to be from the 80s to now (somewhere in that timeline) but as I'm very new to this I don't know what type of loco or stock would go along with this. I'm from New England so I would prefer trains that mesh with my own location.

Gondolas and ore cars? Hoppers? It all seems so overwhelming to me!

Crushed stone, loom, gravel, that kind of stuff would be hauled in and out.

Any help is very much appreciated!!

That's up to you what you want to run...Personally I always liked GP38s and SW9s or SW1200,1300,1500s..These are great for small layouts and work well for switching and freight runs...As far as rolling stock...hoppers are fine unless your out going shipment isn't weather friendly...Like pure white sand, ect. where you'd want covered hoppers. Gondolas can't be unloaded from the bottom, they use magnets/claws (scrap, lumber, steel, coils ect.)... Ore cars are what usually raw materials arrive on and sometimes shipped on small lines...Just one thing to remember if your layout will be small, use 40ft cars as more will fit on sidings and run around tracks. I am not an expert on this, It's just my personal input!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if anyone has watched the movie in a long time but if you have... Does anyone know what the locomotive is at the end of Back to the Future 3, the one that destroys the DeLorean? I'd love to run that one on my layout as well :)

haha no, right before that in the movie. He comes back to 1985 and the DeLorean gets smashed into 10,000 little pieces by a train.

I believe this link brings a picture of it up

http://www.bttfonline.com/html/pictures_bttf3.html

Those might even be Alco's or Baldwins. Not sure what their era is, but I think they're earlier than the SW series...

http://www.sushob.com/home.php?cat=473

http://www.sushob.com/home.php?cat=472

There are usually lots of Proto S-1 engines on eBay fairly cheap.

OK guys help me out!!..I am looking for a transition engine...from like the 1955's...We have several steamers and I wanted to get a diesel. Our layout is based on 1955 era....and I am looking for something with DCC/ w sound ..something in the RS type I guess??...What else was around those years? We have a A-B-A set up for passengers but I am looking for a freight engine for a PRR line. Much thanks on your input!! :)

I am looking for a transition engine...from like the 1955's...I want to get a diesel. I am looking for something with DCC/ w sound ..something in the RS type I guess??...What else was around those years? We have a A-B-A set up for passengers but...
You realize of course the F units were originally designed for Freight and an A-B-B-A set was probably the most common mainline freighter in that time period. But failing that, for those requirements, the only things I know of are the Proto 2000 GP9 (1954) and the Atlas Trainmaster (1953). Unfortunately the sound in the GP9 isn't quite right. I can highly recommend the Trainmaster (mine is even painted Pennsy). Many vendors make good RS-3 locomotives but none have sound.

You realize of course the F units were originally designed for Freight and an A-B-B-A set was probably the most common mainline freighter in that time period. But failing that, for those requirements, the only things I know of are the Proto 2000 GP9 (1954) and the Atlas Trainmaster (1953). Unfortunately the sound in the GP9 isn't quite right. I can highly recommend the Trainmaster (mine is even painted Pennsy). Many vendors make good RS-3 locomotives but none have sound.

Thanks Much! I will look into those...I saw an Atherns RS-3 DCC ready but it ever mentioned sound....

Now if I had Doc's switcher I could move some cars stuck on a siding when my "Mallet" hauling freight on the passing track and the "Big Boy" is on the main hauling the passengers. What a thought!!!!

Back