Decided on returning to HO

boston&maine

After looking at a lot of scnery, buildings and structures, as well as the availability of cars and engines for a Central Maine layout in the paper industry, I'm doing HO.
I think a starter kit would be the way to get going looking at a Lifelike Freightmaster layout. Anything I should know about before I order?
I realize that I'm going to have to either get a body shell or buy a new loco to get the CM markings as well as the caboose. Most of the cars are tankers and box with a few bulk.
After reading threads I am going with a 4 x 8 with homasote.

After looking at a lot of scnery, buildings and structures, as well as the availability of cars and engines for a Central Maine layout in the paper industry, I'm doing HO.
I think a starter kit would be the way to get going looking at a Lifelike Freightmaster layout. Anything I should know about before I order?
I realize that I'm going to have to either get a body shell or buy a new loco to get the CM markings as well as the caboose. Most of the cars are tankers and box with a few bulk.
After reading threads I am going with a 4 x 8 with homasote.

It depends a lot on the particular kit, but personally I would stay away from a starter kit. They're okay just to start with (as the name implies), but as you add more to your layout and improve things, you'll probably end up replacing most of the stuff it came with. Usually they come with a very basic (read 'cheap') power pack, and the quality/detail of the engines and rolling stock isn't the best either.

A lot will depend on budget, but if you're able to, buy a better power pack and track. If you're planning to buy a new loco and cars with the correct road name anyway, you might as well just buy individual engines/rolling stock right off the bat.

Just my two cents though ;)

I started out many years ago with a life like N scale set and there cheap turnouts, I sold it all within a year (huge loss) and quit the hobby. I re started about two years ago and bought BLI and Atlas knowing they are a good brand to start with.

Ken.

Looking at Atlas starter track pack has a 4 x 8 layout nice size that is true track not badly priced. Someone mentioned the cost of replacing the loco as I need them for Central Maine and that got me thinking. And you mentioning about the loss of interest "not good".
I don't know if it is done this way but the track pack and the base may be a good start point as well as setting things up.
Get the layout were I want it "track and ground cover and ballast". With winter getting ready to drop on us I'd rather enjoy it building than regretting a kit I purchased too quickly.:)
This would also allow me more time to get things "switches and the power pack setup."
And allow me more time to learn from this site.
Thanks
Dave

Back