Decals, dul-coat, weathering?

N-gager

Working on some N gauge cars. Painted w enamel and applying the decals.
Should I dul-coat before weathering (Testors weathering paints - rust, oil, grime) or apply the weathering paints and then dul-coat?

N-gager:

A coat of Dull Coat will give the surface some texture to help weathering adhere to the surface especially if are planning on using weathering powers. I will also help when you use the Testors products.

Be sure to wash the cars to remove oils and release agents before working on them.

Thanks to all. The trains look too new/shiny on the layout. The ones I've painted look more like the real thing. I weathered them after the first color coat and added some decals. It's time to 'age' them but didn't know whether to apply washes or dull coat first. :cool:

Before applying decals it's best to spray the model with a gloss coat. This will allow the decals to stick better and conform over any raise details. It also prevents the clear decal edges from frosting. I use a decal setting solution, sometimes it takes multiply applications to help the decal suck down. Once decals are dry I'll wash model in warm soapy water. When dry I'll shoot another coat of gloss to hide the decal edges. Then I'll spray with Dullcoat and weather.

I always Dullcote ....it gives the model a bit of "tooth" for the next layer of paint,washes or powder to grab onto....and very often I will Dullcote after the final weathering is completed but be aware that Dullcote or similar products will tone-down the weathering effects, especially powders...so keep that in mind when actually doing your weathering.

Back