Decal Assistance

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Guys I need some help please. I'm building a couple of Illinois Central cabooses for my interchange trains. I'm doing the later gray models (pic below). I have the lettering and death star but no numbers or reporting marks. I can't find a set of decals that have them for freight cars. Any ideas??? Thank you in advance.

ic9369.jpg

Jerome: I like the weathering on that Burlington Northern caboose...nice job. Your weathering is't over done like my rust bucket SOO cabooses.

I have the background building on the left that's in your photo.

Greg

Jerome: I like the weathering on that Burlington Northern caboose...nice job. Your weathering is't over done like my rust bucket SOO cabooses.

I have the background building on the left that's in your photo.

Greg
Greg, I have another BN caboose that still needs weathering sitting here. I was actually looking at your Soo caboose. The BN really let them go at the end before they scrapped them all. I think a heavy weathered one like yours is needed. ;)

Jerome: I used a mixture of oils, aryclic paints and powders to weather the caboose. It was a fun several days and time is needed for the coats of DullCote to dry between applying another layer of weathering. I enjoy weathering and will do more cars in a few weeks.

Greg

IMG_0401.JPG

This ACL box car was weathered using only oil paints. First I applied a coat of streaked oil, diluted Burned Sienna, down the sides and ends of the car. Once dry and it takes several days to dry, I used slightly diluted oil paint (used fast drying thinner) to make the points of rust and when nearly dry I used diluted Burned Sienna t make the rust streaks. After everything had dried I gave it a coat of DullCote.-Greg

PS: The door was a replacement door so there's little weathering done to the red door.

Last edited:
Jerome: I never tried to do any sanding of lettering. I was afraid that I would ruin the finish under the lettering.

On some of my ore cars I used a wash to fade the weathering. Once the wash had dried I when ahead and did the balance of the weathering.

Nice weathering on your car!

Ore car.jpg

Or, I'll use Pan Pastels to weather the lettering a bit to fade it out.

Greg

I used a Mr. Clean scrubbing pad to sand it down. Takes a lot of elbow grease but you can control how much comes off. Doesn't hurt the finish at all. Usually the first step I do.

1581807159171.png

This one is a generator.....it would power up everything for the caboose.

and so is this one....
1581807481994.png

This one is an alternator for charging the batteries for light markers etc...12v applications.

1581807314542.png

Back