Dead Rail HO ?

One other thing that you could incorporate into dead rail is RFID chips. As it is now, you have to set up blocks to locate trains. That won't be an option with dead rail. But, if you install an RFID chip in each engine and your caboose, you can track your train throughout your layout, even in the sidings. I don't know how many receivers you would have to install, but it would still eliminate the headache of wiring and detection blocks.

The silvery glint...

I'm a pilot, and one of my favorite joys it looking down on a real train that looks as small as a model from that perspective. When the sun angle is right there is a brilliant silvery glint from the real steel rails, a visual that I find iconic to railroading.

I have always missed that silvery glint in my modeling. I am disappointed by the color of brass or nickle-silver rails; they just never look right to my eye. Steel HO track gives that prototypical silvery glint I seek, but everyone shouts warnings that steel rail is not a good electrical conductor, and creates a constant track cleaning problem.

Dead rail is the solution for me! Hubby and I have finally made the commitment: we are going to do our layout entirely with steel flextrack, and all electricity to the locomotive will be carried on-board each train. All the DCC features function normally, they just get their power from the battery nistead of the rails, and the radio receiver provides the commands to the DCC that would normally come through the rails. The electrical connections from the battery and from the r/c receiver to the DCC are simple enough for even my fumble-fingers, and the resulting train performance is indistinguishable from good rail-powered DCC. We probably will want to run some wires on the layout to light buildings and such, but all the complexities of track wiring will be avoided.

So far the biggest negative we have found is that quality steel-rail turnouts are hard to come by. I find the Bachmann and Life-Like steel rail turnouts less than ideal. Anybody know a source of better quality turnouts with steel rail?

Diane

Dead rail is not going to overcome the problem of oxidation (rusting) of the steel track, so the constant cleaning is still going to be an issue. It also sounds as though you will be locked into sectional track work, not aware of any maker of steel flextrack. Seems a big disadvantage for a singular scenic advantage.

Life-Like makes steel flextrack. I think the wheels running on the rails will keep the rust off them. That's what I think anyway... it works on full-size train tracks. I hope I'm right.

If not, an occasional cleaning, no more than nickel-silver rails would require, should keep them looking good. Operationally, the train will run just as well on rust and other crud as it will on clean rails, because there is no need to seek power through the interface between the rail and the wheels. It might even be cool looking to have a totally rusted siding or two. Besides, I live in Arizona where the humidity is 11 percent right now as I type, which should suppress rusting.
Diane

Yeah, I like your idea about steel rail. Especially the rust on the sides of the track. I am thinking of building a dead-rail system from the ground-up also, so any updates on your progress with the track would be most welcome.

I will be pursuing this option as I change scales from O to HO. Bluerail Trains which developed the Bluetooth control in Bachmann's EZ-AP locomotives has just released their first Bluetooth boards. Their boards are specifically designed for HO and come with three options - track power, battery leads, or a plug and play complete dead rail system. Either option B or C would easily drop into an HO setup with a powered locomotive and a secondary battery unit - dummy, tender, Boxcar. The Bluetooth control is nice - just control with your smartphone - no more need for remotes!

...any updates on your progress with the track would be most welcome.

I'm sorry to not have any progress to report. While our motley collection of HO models of all types continues to occupy half our dinner table and two wall shelves, we have otherwise been unable to spend time with the model railroad all year long. Last summer we were verbally making railroad plans and talking about "wait for winter" but this winter is unusually busy for our business, and it doesn't seem likely we will get to the trains for a while longer yet. Rats.

Is anybody moving forward with steel deadrail?

Diane

In the May 2015 Model Railroader discusses Dead rail in O Scale. Although O Scale isn't HO, much of the components making up the system needed are discussed and you will find much good information on the concept. In fact the "From The Editor" column in this issue discusses going battery power as the future of the hobby.

All that Bachmann states to describe their steel track is that it is a "Steel Alloy". I'd want to know: What does this mean? My guess is it is alloyed with some other metal to help it resist corrosion. As far as the realism of Nickel/Silver rail, I paint all my rail with a Roof Brown/Rail Brown color and polish the rail head after painting and it looks just like real steel rail after I'm done.

Back