DDT Plymouth Industrial Powered Conrail

Rabοliot

Old Bandit
Hello,
I'm planning to buy this old and cheap switcher. Is it a good idea ? Thanks for your replies.

336699.jpg

I like the Model Power stuff, other than all mine is the old hook style couplers.
Can't speak for the switcher, but, I have an old Model Power F2 that runs the floor circle whenever the G-kids show up. Frankly, it's the fastest and quietest locomotive I have in my small collection of engines, and it seems to be able to take a G-kid beating.
I'd buy that switcher, if it was cheap.

I'm planning to buy this old and cheap switcher. Is it a good idea ? Thanks for your replies.
View attachment 130492
Here is an almost ludicrous review of the locomotive. :cool:

Here is a "better" review. Neither of these talk about electrical characteristics or any other technical specs.

Is there a specific reason you are wanting an industrial locomotive? This one seems to lack in every dimension. Over scaled. Noisy. Not much pulling power. I would save my $20 to apply for something better. Seems to me, that for a tiny industrial switcher one would be better off with the BLI Critter. Yeah, it is an order of magnitude higher in cost $$$, but also in detail and performance. And yes, I do buy from Factory Direct Hobbies all the time.
https://factorydirecthobbies.com/search?q=plymouth switcher

Last edited:
I can’t speak for this particular model (I actually owned a 1:1 version) but in my experience with other locos by model power I believe they shouldn’t be allowed on the market.
(a bit harsh?)
My nephew got a model power train set one Christmas and it was the crappiest thing I’ve ever seen. First lap around the driveshaft came off, it was thinner than a needle and kept coming off, the wheels kept slipping on the axles, and it sounded like a garberator.
A friends kid got one also, same story there so I gave him an old blue box loco I had.
**Note** that I said it was not that particular locomotive you asked about, maybe the train set versions are inferior to the newer models.
As mentioned above maybe hold out for a better loco?

Many thanks for all your replies folks. Very appreciated. You're absolutely right. I have to look for a better loco than this one.

The Proto 2000 switchers are very good too, the SW9/1200s. Used one are usually around $50. Newer Bachmann seems to run ok but most seem to have issues with dimensional fidelity, especially the SD40-2. Bachmann is not really on my radar but that one was so off it really stood out (in a bad way) compared to everyone else's SD40-2.

The above GP40 looks pretty good though.

I'm looking for a real diesel. This model: EMD GP40 Chessie #4150 (Bachmann). A better choice I guess.
Yes, a better model better choice.

And if you are interested, this locomotive model has been done by two of the finest manufactures in HO Scale. Both are past production so it could be hard to find them, but I am certain they will eventually show up on ebay and the like.
Atlas Master - item 10 001-841 & 842 I am pretty certain there are non-sound units out there too.
10001841.jpg

and
Athearn Genesis - #4120 and 4154 Athearn Genesis HO GP40-2 Chessie System "B&O" w/ DCC & Sound | Spring Creek Model Trains .
and HO GP40-2 w/DCC & Sound, Chessie/C&O #4276 (ATHG65175): Athearn Trains
Hmmm, I can't pull the picture out for some reason.

And yes I have been a big Atlas proponent since 1983, and Genesis proponent since they fixed their electronics problems in 2007 or so. I also do shop at Spring Creek.

PS. EDIT - Sorry I just saw this was a former C&O unit. I'm guessing there are B&O painted ones out there too. !!! Yes there are (lots apparently):
Atlas Masters Silver Chessie B&O C&O CSX GP40-2 #4151 Rare! 843375078560 | eBay
Chessie System B&O C&O CSX EMD GP40 #3684 Atlas 8907 Rare! | eBay
OR a little bit lesser model - Athearn Roundhouse brand - Athearn Ho RND14879 GP40-2, Chessie 4230, tp67 | eBay

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your replies folks. Much appreciated. Don't forget I live in France. Unfortunately I can't buy what I want (shipping cost, French VAT, custom fees..). I finally ordered this second hand Bachmann GP40:

60302-PO01_3509906_Qty1_1.jpg

Back