DCC wiring info for Atlas ho Berkshire Route #35

DLO4923

I would like to convert my dc Berkshire valley layout to DCC and have been unable to find much guidance or a diagram to do this. Any help would be appreciated. I really appreciate all the replies I have received. Thanks

Dan

I would like to convert my dc Berkshire valley layout to DCC and have been unable to find much guidance or a diagram to do this. Any help would be appreciated. I really appreciate all the replies I have received.
Is it currently wired with Atlas electrical switch components? If so you could simply replacing the "B" cab with the DCC control unit and flip all the selectors (Atlas Part#215) to the "B" setting.

To make it better and more automatic one could then replace the Atlas "controller" (part#220) with a DCC automatic reversing unit. I believe the Atlas turn table automatically changes polarity, so that should not be a concern.

For a cleaner look without all the existing switches. One could also disconnect the track leads from the existing electrical switches and connect them to one side of the DCC track output. If wired according to Altas directions there are more than enough "feeders" to the rails, don't worry about an electrical bus. Connect the other side of the DCC track output to the common rail wires. If there is only 1 common rail wire, make certain it is heavy enough or add a few more. Put the DCC automatic reversing unit in for the reverse track.

If you really want to get elaborate one could get a separate power booster or power management circuit to electrically separate the yard from the main line. That way if a yard goat shorts out, the trains on the main would not stop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back