DCC strange-ness

jacon12

I've had a little P2K GP-9i for about a year now and it's a favorite engine of mine. Here's my photo of it..
52311081.UPGP9i.jpg

When I tried to crank her up this morning, nothing happened. To make a long story short, somehow the engine had reverted to it's out of the box address of 03 and all functions were set back to default also, such as sound. I reprogrammed it to 151 and everything seems to be fine now except the lights are doing a little crazy thing, like the reverse lights come on sometime and won't go off, then again maybe they will.
Has anyone else had some similar happen?
Jarrell

Last edited by a moderator:
jbaakko said:
What decoder is installed in this bugger?
Hmmm... that I don't know. Is it in the instruction book? It does have the Quantam Sound System and Train Control, if that makes any difference.
Jarrell

I know this is not a lot of help, but I've had DDC quirks with every Proto I've owned. A couple of them, I found solder bridges on the socket. My S1 switcher would run the lights in DC but not DCC. It started defaulting to 3 and then finally, the decoder died. But that was a Digitrax decoder.

SpaceMouse said:
I know this is not a lot of help, but I've had DDC quirks with every Proto I've owned. A couple of them, I found solder bridges on the socket. My S1 switcher would run the lights in DC but not DCC. It started defaulting to 3 and then finally, the decoder died. But that was a Digitrax decoder.
I wonder why they'll do just fine for a long period of time, and then start the weird behavior.
I wish I knew the mechanics of the electronics in them better.
Thanks Chip.
Jarrell

Have you had any electrical storms in your area lately?

I also protect my DCC system with a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that also protect against most low level lightning. Have never had a problem in 18 months.

caellis said:
Have you had any electrical storms in your area lately?

I also protect my DCC system with a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) that also protect against most low level lightning. Have never had a problem in 18 months.

Charlie, I haven't had one lately. Man, we really need rain around my part of the country. We did have one about 3 weeks ago that got my cable modem. I don't remember if I've ran this particular engine since that happened or not. Maybe ..... well, who knows.. :)
Thanks for the suggestion.
Jarrell

Jarrell, many of my QSI (Quantum) get these little quirps ever so often, but I have never pinpointed the root cause. My guess is bad contact with the track power during startup of the command module causing erroneous programming or deletions to occur.

Although I have had some weird programming changes, most of the time only the address is messed up. For all of these glitches, I first try programming the address again and then if other things are still messed up, do a complete reset and custom program again. If you don't use programming software such as JMRI, then be sure and right down your CV setting in a log book for each engine just for these reasons.;)

Have you tried a complete reset with removal of the jumper or by programming it in? If you have lost your manual, go to the BLI site and download the QSI manuals.

RexHea said:
Jarrell, many of my QSI (Quantum) get these little quirps ever so often, but I have never pinpointed the root cause. My guess is bad contact with the track power during startup of the command module causing erroneous programming or deletions to occur.

Although I have had some weird programming changes, most of the time only the address is messed up. For all of these glitches, I first try programming the address again and then if other things are still messed up, do a complete reset and custom program again. If you don't use programming software such as JMRI, then be sure and right down your CV setting in a log book for each engine just for these reasons.;)

Have you tried a complete reset with removal of the jumper or by programming it in? If you have lost your manual, go to the BLI site and download the QSI manuals.

Rex, you're probably very close if not right on the answer. I pulled the engine over to a programming track, went into the correct CV's and reset them and now everything seems to be ok.
I've been meaning to ask you about the type weathering you did on your sawmill, it really looked great. If I remember right you used an india ink wash, didn't you, or did you use chalks also. If you don't mind posting that picture again (in this thread) I'd appreciate it.
Thanks for the thoughts!
Jarrell

RexHea said:

Jerrell,
As bad as I hate saying "ditto"... Well, "ditto" to what Rex has said. My BLI Hudson (old version that I really should have upgraded) loses it memory more often than I do!
I don't know why, but I often have to reset it. And sometimes my P2K E6 with QSI just doesn't respond at all.

It always takes a reset to get things right... usually a soft
reset gets the job done. But, other times I have had to take
the shell off and use the reset jumper.

On the other hand, my BLI E8 has never given me any trouble. It does have the "magic wand" reset... if that matters.(?)

I really believe in keeping a record of your CV values. It saves a lot of headaches when you have to input the values all over again. Good luck, Dave

Jarrell,
I used chalks for the rusting effect on the roof and india ink on the sides. Before the india ink, I used a greyish wash (a little heavier on the paint side of the mix) on the building sides to give a more weathered look then only a light india ink wash. I don't bother with Dullcote on the chalk since I don't plan on touching it.

Are these the photos you wanted to see?

Uhh, Rex?
I see a place ya missed there old friend. 4th board over 6" down, the ink's a little light & da chalk's too heavy.

Hi all. I moved this here to the DCC forum because it has alot of great info in it and I don't want to see it get buried in the General Discussion forum and be unavailable for someone who may need the info later.

Jerrell, the photo in the lead post is AWESOME! :cool:

See now this is farther in then I had thought. The only known issue i have on the top of my head was the DCC & Sound in Tower 55 units, and I thought it might have been the same decoder.

My J class (QSI) has lost it's mind a couple of times, just a quick re-programme and away she purrs.

Rex any reason why you unload logs into water then up into the mill from there? Just curious.

Ken.

Morning Guys. Concerning the subject of DCC quirkieness,I wonder if long time storage would effect decoder settings? I have most of my locos in storage right now,and I wonder if they could be affected in the same manner as one's on the layout?William.

NZRMac said:
My J class (QSI) has lost it's mind a couple of times, just a quick re-programme and away she purrs.

Rex any reason why you unload logs into water then up into the mill from there? Just curious.

Ken.

ref: pine, I don't know about other lumber.
Ken, many think log ponds were for just storing or a method of retrieving logs to feed in the sawmill, but during warmer/hot weather the inside of the logs will get a mold called "bluestain" if they are allowed to sit out in the air for any length of time. To my knowledge, this does not dimenish the quality of the lumber other than a bluish discoloration, but will cause a lower grade to be assigned to the lumber. Many sawmills use huge sprinkler systems to keep the logs wet.

In the early 80's, I worked at a high tech (computers, laser measuring, etc.) sawmill that used the logs up so fast (over 200,000 board feet/shift) that it was impractical to have them slowed down in a pond. Instead, after the "green lumber" was cut and while being conveyed to the stacker, it was dipped in a trough filled with chemicals to prevent or kill any mold.

Carey: I have been planning to repair that board for the longest time. Thanks for the reminder.:D

GrandeMan: Good idea!;)

Jarrell: Forgot to tell you that your photo is great shot!:)

GandyDancer said:
Is this one of those decoders that have the "magic wand" like the BLI units do? If so has it been around any magnets.
Yes, it is the magic wand type but to my knowledge the only magnet in the train room is the one that came with it and it's in a box stored in a cabinet.
It seems to be functioning correctly since I reprogrammed it.
Jarrell

Back