DCC power supply question

I don't think they would. The EZ Command system is a very basic DCC controller as I understand it. Those items you've listed are "boosters", things you use to beef up the power output of your layout so that you can run more trains at once.

To give an example, say I have my NCE PowerCab (a 2amp system) and I want to run 6 N scale trains at once, all with sound. This would most likely require more than 2amps, so I would need to power the layout using the item in that last link to increase it to 5amps.

Before purchasing, are you sure that you actually require a booster?

I don't think they would. The EZ Command system is a very basic DCC controller as I understand it. Those items you've listed are "boosters", things you use to beef up the power output of your layout so that you can run more trains at once.

To give an example, say I have my NCE PowerCab (a 2amp system) and I want to run 6 N scale trains at once, all with sound. This would most likely require more than 2amps, so I would need to power the layout using the item in that last link to increase it to 5amps.

Before purchasing, are you sure that you actually require a booster?

There is a noticeable drop off in speed when I start rolling my second train.

Certainly sounds like you're running low on juice then. The EZ Command is a 1amp system but I would think that'd be enough for 2 locos without hassle, unless perhaps you are trying to run them both at unrealistic speeds (faster = more power drain) or they both have sound (sound = more power drain too). Some other things that could affect it-

-Got any carriages with lighting, either running or sitting in a siding?
-Got any sound locos sitting in a siding?
-When you say "train", are you talking about a single loco or a couple of them in a consist?

Well I have a total of 11 engines in my stable, of which maybe 3 (4 at the most) will be on powered sections of the track at any one time. I normally keep the unused ones on toggle switched sidings off the turntable.

My passenger cars are lit by battery (Easy Peasy lights from Rapido)

None of my engines has sound (yet)

I do have a couple dual engine consists but this happens with single engine trains too.

Perhaps it could be the size of my layout?

I have two loops each about 80ft long and a fair sized yard. Under them runs a 12AWG bus and the tracks are fed about every 6 feet or so. Most of the rail joints have been soldered though I left a few open for metal expansion and contraction.

Of course someday I hope to expand the layout with more track and loco's so I figured that 1 amp might eventually not be enough anyways but I figured i'd be good for awhile.

The EZ Command booster says it can be used with any NMRA/NEM-conformant DCC system but the others don't. I'd rather go cheap if I have to buy now but it has to at least work. :)

There is a noticeable drop off in speed when I start rolling my second train.
That doesn't mean you need a booster. What power supply is being used for the EZ Command? Sounds to me like that just needs to be a bit bigger.

From the description of your system there has to be something else going on. A 12 gauge bus! I've never used that large of wire and not had that sort of problems. Feeders every 6 feet is plenty that means the loco is never more than 3' from power. I regularly run 3 G-scale locomotives from my little Digitrax Zephyr or old fashion MRC-2000 and don't have the a noticable speed reduction you are talking about. I think both of those have 2.5AMP power supplies.

That doesn't mean you need a booster. What power supply is being used for the EZ Command? Sounds to me like that just needs to be a bit bigger.

The EZ command has an internal 1 amp power supply which I am guessing is a bit too small for what i'm trying to do.

I was just wondering if some of the cheaper boosters would be compatible or I have to shell out the big bucks for the Bachman.

The EZ command has an internal 1 amp power supply which I am guessing is a bit too small for what i'm trying to do.
Oh, it is built in. Bummer. Yesh, for the price of ANY of those (especially the Bachmann unit) it might be a better idea to buy a whole new system such as an MRC Prodgy Express (1.6A), a Digitrax Zephyr, or an NCE Power Cab.

Oh, it is built in. Bummer. Yesh, for the price of ANY of those (especially the Bachmann unit) it might be a better idea to buy a whole new system such as an MRC Prodgy Express (1.6A), a Digitrax Zephyr, or an NCE Power Cab.

Yeah that was the other option. The EZ was a good starter system but having got my feet wet in the hobby now it may be time for an upgrade.

The PowerCab is a great system and fully expandable, meaning it never becomes obselete if you ever do need to add boosters or more cabs. It's also fully self-contained so you can walk around with it as far as the cable allows (about 3m I think, but you could buy a longer one if needed).

The PowerCab is a great system and fully expandable, meaning it never becomes obselete if you ever do need to add boosters or more cabs. It's also fully self-contained so you can walk around with it as far as the cable allows (about 3m I think, but you could buy a longer one if needed).

Actually I was thinking of going wireless. Even with the two control units i have now I find myself sometimes having to run to another part of the layout in order to avert some impending disaster. :)

Actually I was thinking of going wireless. Even with the two control units i have now I find myself sometimes having to run to another part of the layout in order to avert some impending disaster. :)
Last month I got a ProCab R set off ebay for just over $300. So the deals are out there if you don't mind waiting.

Back