DCC Platform Selection for HO Layout Conversion

vandalby

I’m retuning to the hobby after last operating a layout as a kid in the 90s, and it’s amazing to see the advancement and change in technology since then. I had the opportunity to recently acquire a neighbor’s layout (faithful recreation of the Jerome & Southwestern, including the Back Alley & Wharf extension, for those who are familiar). It enabled me to get back into the hobby quickly as benchwork, track and much of the scenery was complete. The wiring was removed, originally a conventional DC setup, but I’d like to take the opportunity to re-wire for DCC. I’ve read through this forum, and watched a significant amount of youtube, especially the DCC guy to try to get up to speed but still have lots of questions, including which DCC platform to select. Hoping some of the good forum members here might recommend their preferred DCC platform option, given the following requirements:
  • Able to use multiple throttles (2 to start, but ability to expand to 3+ over time as I look to expand the layout)
  • Wireless throttles if possible or at a minimum ability to have multiple ports to plug in to
  • Likely operating 2 – 3 locos in the near term but ability to expand beyond 4 in the future
  • Ability to set up power districts and circuit breaking capability
  • In the near term, will need to be able to handle 1 reversing loop and 1 wye (one side of the wye will share track with a portion of the reversing loop)
  • Ability to keep a programming track permanently wired in
  • Not planning to use DCC for turnouts and turntable operation, but rather than rebuild control panels, would like to use an iPad based system – not sure if I’m able to get that recommendation in this part of the forum but if so would be helpful
  • Assume no budgetary constraints

I'm no expert on DCC, but I use NCE PowerCab which has the capability for expansion. Unfortunately, I understand NCE PC's are in short supply!

D181DA8F-510A-4B1F-84F0-56F0018CAC8D.jpeg
Digitrax command throttles allows you to run two separate trains on one throttle via two separate knobs. Additional utility throttles have only one knob though. Adding additional panels ( which are essentially phone jacks ) is easy.

The system is simple to operate. Old original 20 year old Digitrax throttles and accessories work with the newest stuff.

Mu’ing locos together is as easy as calling up the locos you want to lash together and hitting the mu button.

My only gripe at the moment is that the new throttles will require occasional firmware updates.

In the picture you can see a utility panel screwed to the layout. That is a radio panel. It’s all you need to go radio controlled, that and a radio throttle. Also in the pic on the far right is the booster from my very first system, about 20 years old now. It’s currently surplus and is ready to go if any of my boosters would ever go bad.

Last edited:
rgeiter: That's some Digitrax Command system you developed for your layout!!! How large is your layout that requires five boosters? Nice and clean installation.

Greg

This layout is much smaller than my old layout. So I have a surplus of boosters. With that being said, I used one for the #1 main, one for the # 2 main, one for the yard, one for the branch line and one for a reverse loop/ wye section. There’s a DCS 100, two DB150’s, two DB100+ and the original DB100. Overkill? Yes, probably.😁

Last edited:
Guess you beat me in over kill.

Several days before I was going to show the layout my Digitrax DB150 stopped functioning so I purchased a replacement. Then the replacement decided to quit programming and I purchased a third DB 150 at a bargain price and now I have three DB 150's.

One day while testing the first and second DB 150's I found that both were working just fine. Who knows the reasons they stopped working and the first 150 is still working on the layout and the others in storage.

Greg

Guess you beat me in over kill.

Several days before I was going to show the layout my Digitrax DB150 stopped functioning so I purchased a replacement. Then the replacement decided to quit programming and I purchased a third DB 150 at a bargain price and now I have three DB 150's.

One day while testing the first and second DB 150's I found that both were working just fine. Who knows the reasons they stopped working and the first 150 is still working on the layout and the others in storage.

Greg
I figured that if you have them, might as well use them. Besides, all those boosters in a row do look sexy!👍😁

I had the opportunity to recently acquire a neighbor’s layout (faithful recreation of the Jerome & Southwestern, including the Back Alley & Wharf extension, for those who are familiar)
Wow I am envious.

Hoping some of the good forum members here might recommend their preferred DCC platform option, given the following requirements:
  • Able to use multiple throttles (2 to start, but ability to expand to 3+ over time as I look to expand the layout)
  • Wireless throttles if possible or at a minimum ability to have multiple ports to plug in to
  • Likely operating 2 – 3 locos in the near term but ability to expand beyond 4 in the future
  • Ability to set up power districts and circuit breaking capability
  • In the near term, will need to be able to handle 1 reversing loop and 1 wye (one side of the wye will share track with a portion of the reversing loop)
  • Ability to keep a programming track permanently wired in
  • Not planning to use DCC for turnouts and turntable operation, but rather than rebuild control panels, would like to use an iPad based system – not sure if I’m able to get that recommendation in this part of the forum but if so would be helpful
  • Assume no budgetary constraints
Almost any of the systems out there can meet those requirements except maybe the iPad part. Apple doesn't get a lot of love in areas like this.

On a small layout like that it should already be set up for blocks and you can just use the existing wires to run to whatever power block you want it in. I think more than 4 would be overkill on that small of a layout. Well that is not true either, I personally would do one for the original layout and one for the extension. I was thinking that 4: one for the extension, one for each town, and one for the mine branch, just to isolate short circuits.

Once again almost any brand of DCC auto reverser will work. I've used them all from the cheapest MRC to the most expensive and have really found that much difference.

I have the NCE PRO R where R means radio. It is a most advanced system that can be expanded to very large.
I have a Digitrax Zephyr that would work. It can be expanded to include everything you want. It is only 3.5 amps. That is a bit short for more than 5 locos.
I have a CVP EZ-DCC system that would be wonderful for this application, and I used to recommend it whole hardheartedly, but seems the owners are getting more grumpy every time I call them. Dispite having purchased 5 systems from them over the years, instead of helping upgrade the equipment they just want me to buy another new one, and another, and another.....
I also have an NCE Twin. It is limited to certain locomotive numbers and I am not certain it can be expanded, so I would say that is NOT an option for you.
Then finally I have my main Lenz VR102 system. The original DCC before it became a standard. I really like it. Highly expandable, BUT the Lenz DCC North America changed hands a few years ago and it has gotten harder and more expensive and longer to get things fixed or upgraded. I do use the CVP wireless throttle system with it. Works great but I don't know how hard it is to put a new system together these days.

There are others out there. MRC Prodigy I hear good things about. There is a Zimo. And I am missing one, can't think of it at the moment.

Watch eBay to get some really good deals. That is how I got my NCE Pro R for really cheap.

Last edited:
I have used NCE, never touched a Digitrac system, had Railpro which is not DCC and currently have the ESU Cab Control system. I can recommend not purchasing the ESU system unless you enjoy integrated headaches. A system with such great promise and very little being delivered.

Look seriously at the NCE systems as they are very user friendly and I am told have great customer service.

TomO

I have a Z21 (the black non starter system). I use my iphone and ipad as throttles and to control the locomotive sound and light features. I can throw the switches with them too. This system meets all of the requirements you list. I don't have experience with other systems, but do like the Z21.

When you select a system, you need to consider follow on support. If you decide to go with the Vladamiers DZ190-A system because you can save $20 on it, remember, who are you going to ask for support when ya can't get ahold of the one person who knows how to trouble shoot it.
Bottom line, go cheap, be disappointed and be prepared to buy another system.

Like gjjohnston above in reply 10, I also have a Roco z21 based system.

It makes dcc remarkably easy to use. I doubt I could have done as well as I have with dcc using almost anything else.

I'm surprised at how many modelers still stick with dcc control devices that are akin to something out of the last century, when the z21 makes certain tasks so easy.

Perhaps that because when I came back to the little engines (after working on the big ones for 30+ years), I had no preconceptions as to what kind of dcc setup to buy. I ended up buying the one that made the most sense to me. A "graphical interface" beats pushbuttons in my book.

How many here are still using DOS instead of Windows...?

. I had the opportunity to recently acquire a neighbor’s layout (faithful recreation of the Jerome & Southwestern, including the Back Alley & Wharf extension, for those who are familiar). It enabled me to get back into the hobby quickly as benchwork, track and much of the scenery was complete.

I closely followed the construction of the Jerome and Southwestern in Model Railroader as it took place. Model Railroader displayed the layout at one year's TrainFest in Milwaukee and it was nice to see the layout in person. On a trip to Arizona, we traveled to the mining town of Jerome in the mountains and saw first hand what was being modeled by John Olson. A very interesting town and I purchased a soft cover book on the history of Jerome.

Greg

Back