DCC help please...?

Idiotbiker11

I have just acquired a lightly used Spectrum 4-6-0 locomotive with DCC onboard. After careful unpacking, I set it on my programming track to learn what the decoder address is and I keep getting a DND error message. I am using a Digitrax Zephyr DCS50 and followed the directions. Any help is appreciated

Sorry I can't help you, but be patient. There are several DCC experts on here who will be able to help you.

If it has a sound decoder on board, the Zephyr doesn't have enough power to communicate with the decoder.
Have you tried placing the engine on the track, and seeing if anything happens?

Terry is correct about the Zephyr lacking the power to program this sound decoder and many like this type. The error message of DND confirms this problem. Try setting the locomotive on the track and set the address for the factory setting of 03 and see if the locomotive responds. If not try using the locomotive's cab number to determine if the previous owner changed the factory settings to the locomotive's cab number.

The Digitrax Zephyr is used by many model railoraders, but lacks the output power to program many sound decoders.

Do you have a friend or local hobby shop that may have a more powerful system to do the programming for you?

Greg

If it has a sound decoder on board, the Zephyr doesn't have enough power to communicate with the decoder.
[/
Terry is correct about the Zephyr lacking the power to program this sound decoder and many like this type. The error message of DND confirms this problem. Try setting the locomotive on the track and set the address for the factory setting of 03 and see if the locomotive responds. If not try using the locomotive's cab number to determine if the previous owner changed the factory settings to the locomotive's cab number.

The Digitrax Zephyr is used by many model railoraders, but lacks the output power to program many sound decoders.

Do you have a friend or local hobby shop that may have a more powerful system to do the programming for you?

Greg
According to the box, it was an painted undecorated with NO sound model but a previous owner has applied decals and no cab number present. I tried the factory "03" address and still no response from the decoder. I can see about taking it to the club layout and get some additional help there. I can also reach out to the gentleman I acquired it from to see if he remembers the address. Thanks guys!

According to the box, it was an painted undecorated with NO sound model but a previous owner has applied decals and no cab number present. I tried the factory "03" address and still no response from the decoder. I can see about taking it to the club layout and get some additional help there. I can also reach out to the gentleman I acquired it from to see if he remembers the address. Thanks guys!
Okay, I'm assuming it is a factory decoder. Place it on the track, turn on track power, then push "prog" until you see "ops" on the screen. Push "steps/CV", enter "8", "steps/CV, then pus "33", then "cv-wr".
Push "exit", then remove the engine from the track for about 10 seconds. When you put the engine back on the track, turn on the power, you should be able to dial up "03", and the engine should respond.

Okay, I'm assuming it is a factory decoder. Place it on the track, turn on track power, then push "prog" until you see "ops" on the screen. Push "steps/CV", enter "8", "steps/CV, then pus "33", then "cv-wr".
Push "exit", then remove the engine from the track for about 10 seconds. When you put the engine back on the track, turn on the power, you should be able to dial up "03", and the engine should respond.
I have tried everything mentioned above and I still get no response from the locomotive. Does this indicate a bad decoder?

I have tried everything mentioned above and I still get no response from the locomotive. Does this indicate a bad decoder?

This may sound like a crazy question, but are you sure there's a decoder in the locomotive? You could check the SKU number on BAchmann's web site to see what the locomotive came as a NIB locomotive.

I once purchased a brand new DCC locomotive with sound and found that someone had exchanged the DCC sound locomotive with a DC locomotive and the purchased the DCC locomotive in the DC box at DC prices!

Greg

The Bachmann "DCC on Board" line, last I knew, did not have sound decoders. The "Sound Value" line has sound decoders.

🌈I'm not familiar with the Zephyr.. But people seem to be confirming it's the fault of the Zephyr..If so, perhaps cut your losses and replace it with an NCE PowerCab...These babies seem to do everything..I know. I have one..But this doesn't confirm other models or makes can't solve your problems.

🌈I'm not familiar with the Zephyr.. But people seem to be confirming it's the fault of the Zephyr..If so, perhaps cut your losses and replace it with an NCE PowerCab...These babies seem to do everything..I know. I have one..But this doesn't confirm other models or makes can't solve your problems.
If it does indeed have a decoder in it, and it is a sound decoder, and the zephyr is having troubles programming it, it would be a lot cheaper, to purchase the Soundtraxx PTB-100 programming booster. Then you can program any sound decoder, including Broadway Limited.

Have you access to a DC power pack? Try powering the locomotive with DC. If it runs with about 6-7 volts DC, it either has a dual decoder or none at all.

Sounds to me like the decoder is toast. Cheapest option is to replace it. check the wireing to make sure it is ok.THEN move on to other causes

Back