DCC Decoder for Tug boat

Gdelmoro

Hi all I have an HO Tug Boat omn my layout and I want to control the motor and lighting. Does anyone know of a decoder that would do that?

Does it move anywhere, or is it just lighting and sound? If it's sound and lights, you can get a Tsunami Soundcar, which will give you most everything you would need.

If its just lights and motor (regardless of what the motor does), any basic DCC decoder will work: Digitrax DH126D motor + 2 functions ($16) or NCE D13W motor + 4 functions (also $16).

No movement. Just need motor sound and lights. It will be placed against my car ferry as if it is holding it in place.
Thanks for the reply’s I’ll check out those decoders.

It doesn’t appear that the NCE D13W or the Digitrax DH126D have sound? The Soundtraxx SoundCar does. Cost about $50. If the others have spins and light capability I don’t care about motor control.

It doesn’t appear that the NCE D13W or the Digitrax DH126D have sound? The Soundtraxx SoundCar does. Cost about $50. If the others have spins and light capability I don’t care about motor control.

The others have no sound capability, only motor control.

Toot, I thought the Tugs had diesel motors like catapiller or EMD’s. In any case, looks like the Econami or the Digitrax SDH166D (included the speaker) may work. Now I need to find out what a 1950’s Tug motor was.

Thanks. The link didn’t work but I can search for it.
Once i get the decoder I understand that I need to install a 100 ohm resistor between the grey and orange decoder wires to simulate the motor resistance I guess. I need that to be able to program the decoder. Anyone ever do this? Have a wiring diagram you’re willing to share?

For some reason the link worked the second try. so it looks like I want a diesel decoder. From other forums they recommend a Fairbanks Morse or ALCO or EMD S1 sound.

Odd that the link didn't work first time. According to that article, the EMD 567 engines were replacing the Winton's post ww2 and had a Rootes blower driven from the rear of the engine by the '50's. I wondered about the Alco's. The 251 would be a logical fitment. They are still being built by Fairbanks Morse for marine use mostly.

Can I take a motor out of an old DC locomotive and mount it in the tug then connect the decoder? If that works, it seems better than connecting and disconnecting the resistor.

Can I take a motor out of an old DC locomotive and mount it in the tug then connect the decoder? If that works, it seems better than connecting and disconnecting the resistor.

If you are installing a sound decoder I cannot imagine that you would want to hear the sound of the physical motor running. You should be able to connect a resistor in its place and just leave it installed so you can read back the decoder settings.

Frederick

UPDATE
Digitrax sound decoder and lights installed. 100 Ohm resistor between the orange and grey. I used decoder pro to set the speed table steps to 2 all the way across which keeps the resistor from heating up. Works great. Even added some marker lights.

I would use an old portable CD player with tugboat sounds CD and run a 1" speaker into the tug.

UPDATE
Digitrax sound decoder and lights installed. 100 Ohm resistor between the orange and grey. I used decoder pro to set the speed table steps to 2 all the way across which keeps the resistor from heating up. Works great. Even added some marker lights.
Got any pics?

Back