DCC CV vales question

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
I have 3 Paragon E units in a consist. I'm trying to figure out the CV valus to turn off the MARS lights on the trailing units. Can anyone Help with a DCC novice? Thank you.

The decoder manual for the Paragon version of decoder should allow you to shut off the MARS light if the function can be manipulated...I'm sure it can. Once you accomplish that, THEN you make up the consist....or maybe the manual lets you consist several and designate units with no MARS.

You are missing my question. I have set up the consist. It works just fine, except I can't turn off the MARS lights on the 2 trailing units. The Paragon book lists everything from F1 to F19 values. The NCE only use the CV values.

Advanced consist's allow you to turn on or off F1 - F19 in any loco in the consist by setting the CV values I think in CV20,21 and 22. My Lok sound programmer makes this much easier because of the interface but you can do this with any programming system if you know what values to change in these CV's.

George

Okay, as you have your locos in a consist (as you'll note, I have deleted my previous remarks) and I guess you are using the method outlined in the Paragon2 Operator's manual i.e. DCC easy consist, locos numbered 1, 2, 3. Something you can try. On page9 it says the F7 key turns the Mars light on/off. Try doing that to the trailing locos before setting them up in the consist i.e. while they are each identified by their individual number. This may or may not work once placed in a consist. If you don't have that manual it's online here http://www.broadway-limited.com/support/manuals/Paragon2 Diesel Operators Manual.pdf and Paragon3http://www.broadway-limited.com/support/manuals/Paragon 3 Diesel Manual.pdf

Further down the pages of the PDF on P21, there is mentioned CV229 for DCC Extended Consist Lighting. Unfortunately to find out what this is all about, you need to reference the Technical Manual. Here it is for Paragon2
http://www.broadway-limited.com/support/manuals/Paragon2techDiesel[1.11].pdf

And there are 2 for Paragon3
http://www.broadway-limited.com/support/manuals/techDiesel[0.15].pdf

http://www.broadway-limited.com/support/manuals/techDiesel[0.18].pdf

Why there are 2 I don't know, but have fun.

I think Toot has it, with Digitrax you can call the trailing unit up on the second dial and adjust as needed.

Advanced consist's allow you to turn on or off F1 - F19 in any loco in the consist by setting the CV values I think in CV20,21 and 22. My Lok sound programmer makes this much easier because of the interface but you can do this with any programming system if you know what values to change in these CV's.

George

What CV 21 and 22 do is allow the functions to respond to the consist address, you are not actually turning them on or off with the CV setting. The functions normally respond to the original address of the loco, even when it is in an advanced consist. The easiest way to turn off the mars light is to just select the original address of the loco and turn it off, there's no reason to program any CV's.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what I know Robert. If I use the Activate Functions in Consist Mode page of my lok sound programmer I can select what function is turned on or off within the consist. In the example I want to turn on F2 for loco 6286 in the consist I would check F2. In the first photo F2 is off and CV 021 = 128. In the second photo it's reprogrammed to be on and CV 021 = 130. With this I'm assuming that CV 21 controls which function is on or off for the consist value stored in CV 19. I didn't do a complete investigation into this. Maybe it works the same in JMRI to I don't know. I'll have to give that a try. I think there's some value Jerome can enter in to CV 21 to turn the mars lite off with what ever value he has consist CV 19 set to.

consist_1.jpg

consist_2.jpg

George

Last edited by a moderator:
After doing a little investigating I found this for QSI Quantium 3,2,and 1 decoders. I think this means you use the advanced consist method. Program CV 19 to a value you want to use for your consist. Then program CV21 and CV22 to what features you want activated in the consist. I don't know what values you would enter to do this. In the lok programmer it's a matter of clicking. When I get some free time I'll take a look into this.

Q_CV_21.jpg

Q_CV_22.jpg

George

I would suggest then setting your consist up using the Advanced Consist method of the NCE system, rather than the 1,2,3 BLI. That sounds like the Old Style method. It doesn't give you the control over individual loco functions in the consist like you can get in Advanced. Did you try turning off the Mars with F7 in the trailing locos?

Well....................it would appear, in their wisdom, BLI have disabled all those links I posted re the technical manuals. Where they were working when I posted them, they now cannot be found. Where they are now, I can't discover.

Well (again) found that link via Google, but it doesn't work either once posted, so I don't know what's going on. From what I read you can use the Quick method and setup each loco to respond as it should. They say it's easy, hope you find it so.

Back