DCC control of MTH Locos

Brakeman Hal

Hello,

I'm tired of my unreliable MTH DCS Commander, which has outputs for either DCS or straight DC, and wish to run my MTH O-Scale 2-Rail GP-30 Diesel on good old reliable DCC, with the DCS/DCC loco switch set to DCC.

Will I get the same audio effects with a DCC controller? (Diesel Startup and Runup, Horn, Bell, Coupler Sounds, Brake Squeal, Cab Chatter, Shutdown, etc?)

What DCC controller will give me these functions, either fixed-station or remote?

I have a sprawling 127-foot folded dogbone layout running around 3 walls of a 19' x 24' room , so a remote controller might be preferable.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Brakeman Hal, age 82

Last edited:
You can convert to DCC, you will have to get a complete system, it does not matter which one you choose, the decoder that you choose will determine the sounds etc. every train has to have a DCC decoder. You can also get decoders without sound as well. Just make sure you get a decoder rated for O scale.

DCS has the most functions available. You can remap the functions using Decoder Pro so you can access the functions that matter to you using a decent quality DCC system, such as NCE or Digitrax.

It appears, from some research on an O scale forum discussion that so long as the MTH loco has the PS3 decoder fitted, it can be run with DCC control. As far as which DCC system to use, especially if you want a remote walkaround Cab, then the ones Terry mentioned. Personally I use the 5amp NCE Pro-Cab-R, the R standing for Radio control between the Cab and the base station. The Cab has access to 28 functions over 3 levels.

Back