DCC consist help

Fisher

Hey guys. I have An Ho scale layout, i am running 2 Rapido GMD-1 locomotives in a consist with an MRC Prodigy 2 controller. I have the consist set up as loco 114, they run well together. The issue i have, is there a way to program or add the F1-F11 etc buttons to loco 114 so i can use them in consist mode. Right now i have to just back to the lead loco and use the function buttons then go back to the consist to control the speed.

Hey guys. I have An Ho scale layout, i am running 2 Rapido GMD-1 locomotives in a consist with an MRC Prodigy 2 controller. I have the consist set up as loco 114, they run well together. The issue i have, is there a way to program or add the F1-F11 etc buttons to loco 114 so i can use them in consist mode. Right now i have to just back to the lead loco and use the function buttons then go back to the consist to control the speed.

Fisher - Welcome to the forum! I run DC only and don't have the knowledge to help you. But there are plenty of forum members with the experience. Probably by midday, someone will answer your questions. Again welcome aboard!

Not familiar with the MRC systems, but is running the 2 locos in a consist by having both addressed to the same number, the only way that you can run them together?

If you ran them as MUd locomotives, you would have control of everything in the lead loco without having to toggle back and forth once they were put together. Also, if you decide to run them individually or just one of the units by itself, it's easy to just un MU them.
As for the MRC system, I have no idea what kind of unique setup they do with their system. I only do the stinky Digitrax system.

There is a way to do it, it would be a lot easier to do if you can find somebody with a Lokprogrammer. There, you can just check the boxes of the functions you want to respond in consists. There is a way to do it via cv settings, but it’s a lot more complex.

Not familiar with the MRC systems, but is running the 2 locos in a consist by having both addressed to the same number, the only way that you can run them together?

The way he worded it as "I have the consist set up as loco 114" is a little confusing, as context in the next sentence about selecting the lead [loco] and then back to the consist actually suggests that he's properly consisted the two locos together using actual consisting features under consist address 114 rather than programming both locos to the same number.

If you just program the locos to the same decoder address, they'll both respond to all commands and you can't send any command to just one or the other.

If you program the locos with their own addresses, and use the DCC consisting features to run them as a set, you can control functions on each one independently, or via the consist. Now, this is also where it gets interesting, as certain commands when sent to a consist may or may not affect each of the engines. Speed controls, yes, obviously. But some of the other functions for sound and lighting might apply to all units, or only lead unit(s). If you want to allow functions to be controlled via the consist address, you'll need to set values in CV 21 and 22. See the table here:

http://www.digitrax.com/tsd/KB923/cv19-cv21-cv22-advanced-consist-addressfunction-co/

That said, my understanding is that CV21/22 allows you to make it so that *any* unit in a consist can respond to specific functions - functions (like headlight, horn, bell sounds) should be triggered on the lead locomotive of the consist - unless you've flipped things around and you're running it backwards, so your "lead" is actually your "rear".

I have 2 locos. 1402 & 1435 together they are under the consist loco number 114. Both locos face forward, and while running, the rear loco, only has the board and class lights turned on. All the main lites and functions are on the lead loco. I have to jump back and forth between loco 1402 and 114 in order to do anything. speed is controlled from the consist 114 and the rest i need to go back to the lead loco to do. There should be a way to program CV to be able to perform all the functions from 114.

I'm still not sure what you're jumping back and forth to do, but as I said above, look at CV 21 & 22.

I'm still not sure what you're jumping back and forth to do, but as I said above, look at CV 21 & 22.
Yes there is the rub. How do i program CV21 and 22 are they preset with functions already in them, or do i need to make changes. How do you add CV 21 22 to the new consist number.

You don't add them to the "new consist number" - you program each decoder's values for the CVs (configuration variables) which tells the decoder whether or not to respond to functions while in a consist.

Refer to your DCC system's documentation for reading and setting CVs for a decoder, and to the table of values on the link above. Determine which functions you want to be triggered on the locomotives when in a consist, and add those values together to determine the value(s) you want to save to CV 21 and 22.

Ok i have nothing in the documentation that tells me any of that, and i am not sure if i need software to do this? So i will just leave it as it is and run it the way i am jumping back and forth between the loco and the consist number. Thanks for the help.

As there are a couple of ways you can control a consist, why are you controlling it by the consist number, 114, stored in the base station and not by the lead loco's number. Try Select Loco, if your Cab has that button on it, once you have set up the consist, writing the lead Loco's number in and enter it. If it's anything like my NCE cab, it should indicate on the screen e.g. CON 1402, if that is the lead loco, or 1435, if that is.

I found a youtube video and learned how to go in and read all the Cv points of each loco so i have done that and written them down. the manual only gives you Cv points for changing volumes thats it. When doing a consist it only allows you to save your consist from number 1 to 120. I have a call into MRC but have not heard back.

Ding Ding Ding. Ok i see now. I need to find the hex values of each function for the ESU loc sound card and add them up and put that value in CV 21 or CV 22. that will make the functions work in a consist.

Ok i got it figured out. I just needed a nudge and to be able to understand what values needed to go into CV 21 & 22. I can operate everything right from the consist number now. So these two locos will stay together from here on in.

Thank you for all the help.

STEAM CONSISTING: When I had my last layout I had fun double heading steam like the 1:1 scale..When beginning to roll the 2nd engine moves first. Why ? Because if the 1st engine moves first it could break the couplers pulling still idol, possibly still braked 2nd engine and the rest of the train... So, 2nd releases brakes and s l o w l y pushes 1st. At this point I toggle to front engine and get him rolling to match the 2nd's speed..I continue this volleying back and forth until train is under way (still doing a little adjust, here and there )..
Slowing down and stopping is the opposite; front loco begins winding down, 2nd then slows to first's speed until stopped..If 2nd begins wind-down first, front could rip the couplers between 1 & 2...All this, by myself, was a lot of fun. Oh, and don't forget the whistle toots between the two cabs.
Yes steam could instead be consisted like 2 diesels. But it'd be too easy (even though, due to driver size diffs, and general inaccuracies, even if in diesel type MUing there likely would still be a need for speed adjusts while under way........M

disclaimer: I imagined and developed this procedure for my own 1:87 scale RR. I did not know if 1:1 steam actually did it this way, too. But I would not be surprised if they did....

Last edited by a moderator:

Back