DCC Concepts Cobalt Switch Machines

N

NP2626

Does anyone have experience with DCC Concepts DCP-000096 Analog Cobalt turnout Motors? They are significantly less expensive that Circuitron's Tortoise Motors! At ModelTrainsStuff, Cobalts cost $18.78 and Circuitron's tortoise costs $29.99. That is an $11.20 savings per unit, purchased as single units. I know that Circiutron's Tortoises are very well excepted by those who have used them; however, I am cheap and always attempting to save a buck, if I can. Thanks in advance!!

You're comparing apple and oranges! $29.99 is for the "Smail", which is a Tortoise with a built in DCC decoder. ModelTrainsStuff currently doesn't show the regular Tortoise in a single pack, but the 6 pack is $89.99, or $15 a piece.

There you go! It is getting more and more difficult to know what it is that a person wants! I am 66 and wonder if age might have something to do with this inability of mine to determine specifications on hobby products. Because Smail meant nothing to me and it was the only single unit I could see at MTS, I assumed it was what I needed.

I found that Tony's Train Exchange had the 800-6000 Tortoise on hand and that it was essentially the same cost as MTS, I bought one. No need for information on the Cobalt.

I am cheap and always attempting to save a buck, if I can.
Me too. If one doesn't need all the built in electrical switches of the tortoise, then the original SwitchMaster stall motors might be a lower cost option. I used to buy them at Caboose Hobbies, don't know any on-line source, nor what the price has gotten to in the last few years.

Back