Davetown - Patti's Tea Garden

DaveInTheHat

My wife said that Davetown needs a Tea Garden. Since she's so supportive of my model building addiction I figured that it would be a good idea to build something that she wants me to build.

I'm starting out with a Hydrocal kit from Railroad Kits called "Corner of Main & South". These are really great kits. The detail is excellent. Not to mention that Jimmy will replace any parts that break.

Here's what the kit looks like.

100_7732-vi.jpg

The three different buildings can be used by themselves or as a group.

100_7733-vi.jpg

I decided to connect all three together and add a front porch. This is a mock-up of what I came up with after a lot of moving around for a couple days.

100_7737-vi.jpg

I scratch built an addition on the back.

100_7749-vi.jpg

I have just about all the windows and stuff painted. The colors are a little strange but it will look good once it's all together.

100_7746-vi.jpg

I have to fabricate a roof for the center building and then all the major construction is done. I'm planing a lot of landscaping details.

Here's the rest of the pictures: http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/davetown/pattis-tea-garden/

Dave, where did you get the van? I had one just like it back in the day!

----------------------------------------------
Mike Grant
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!!
----------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made a little more progress over the past few days. I got the roof finished on the center building. I still need to do some weathering on it.

100_7765-vi.jpg

I made a new roof for the front building. I didn't like the one that came with the kit. I thought the building would have a little bit more of a Victorian look if it had a front porch. I made a simple frame from wood and the roof is made from illustration board.

100_7770-vi.jpg

100_7771-vi.jpg

There's a couple more pictures here: http://public.fotki.com/daveinthehat/davetown/pattis-tea-garden/

Dave, great pic's and I like that you show your steps. One question, what did you use to glue down your paper shingles (shakes)?

I looked at the boat factory slides on u tube and wonder how many days/weeks from the beginning to end of that project.

Thanks, lasm

I used Elmer's white glue on the shingles. I spread it really thin on the shingles and then put them in place. It seemed to work better that way. When I put the glue on the roof I was getting too much excess glue.

DaveCraft Boats took me about 7 months.

I finished building the front porch. There is still some painting and touch up to do. I used Tichy porch posts and VectorCut trim. I have to make some details now.

1621875-vi.jpg

I love the way your structures show so much history, they are a story unto themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Cherry trees and iron fence add a lot. What make and year is the little yellow car?

The whole setup looks great!!

lasm

Thanks. The little yellow car is a 2012 Fiat 500. It's made by Norev. It was blue with a sunroof. I changed it to look like my 1:1 car.

Looks like a real pleasant place you've built. Makes one want to pull up a chair at Patti's, order a cup of tea and a scone and chat with the locals for an hour or two. Thanks for sharing this great build with us.

Back