Data Center in a shipping container

Cute... easy to model, that's for sure. I do wonder how well all that cooling is going to work on a nice hot day though.

I'm sure Sun has though all that through 3x over. Cooling a conex box (shipping container), isn't that hard...

"I havn't figured out what the bandwidth is..."

Sheesh 1.5 Petabytes!? And they can drop it 6" apparently. Uses 200KW of power! He even says you can cool it with cooled stream water...

Interesting, and neat. I'm gonna bet it catches on fairly well.

Pedabytes

"I havn't figured out what the bandwidth is...

Sheesh 1.5 Petabytes!?"

Most people, including IT people have no concept of how much 1.5 pedabytes is. Fact is you can ship a pedabyte of data on tape from US to Australia by boat faster than you can send it over Gig E.

And to my earlier point, shock protection of 6" is no trivial accomplishment either.

I hope it catches on, I want my Sun stock to tripple! :)

Thanks to Hawkeye for posting this!

Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad I couldn't have bought one of those when I upgraded the server. Paint "RailroadForums.com on the side and ship it around the country on stack trains. You could be out railfanning and see the server go by. Now that would be cool!

(OK, so there's a few challenges, like the cost of the box, cooling, power and data connections, but hey, it's a fun idea...)

Bob,

As a new member of the forum, Hi! Nice diggs you have here.

Your idea would give new meaning to the term Wide Area Network!

Joe Daddy

Cute... easy to model, that's for sure. I do wonder how well all that cooling is going to work on a nice hot day though.

If you watch the video, at the end they show how to hook it up, and one of the things you need is a water supply to a heat pump or other cooling system. Cold water in, hot water out. (Hey, it doubles as a water heater!)

Still, while the black looks cool, those of you in places like Texas might want to inquire about a white version.

It's a great idea for sure but the problem with that is anybody with a crane mounted truck can nick it if it's left without a guard, as long as it's not stuck 100 floors up or on an oil rig, imagine what the phishers and other identity theft con men could do with all that data potentially stored in there, i imagine it's pretty well stocked with security devices.

Back