Dang, Space, just jab the giant in the butt with a red hot poker.

You know, I just sat there on the throne this morning looking at that layout and the more I looked the dumber it got.

If you say that is a railfan layout--which is the best you can say for it, you watch the train do 12 feet of nice track 6 times every minute.

This layout is clearly a layout made by a guy who likes to build, and it clearly intended to be expanded.

Calling it a beginner layout is a travesty. Any beginner that builds that layout is lost to the hobby.

It's a moot point. Bergie closed that post between the time I posted it and drove to work and by the time I opened the site when I got here.

Well, it's locked so that there'll be no critisism. [Colonel Klink] You vill write vhat vee tell you to write[/Colonel Klink]. :D

:D Actually, it describes my layout almost exactly. Only difference is that instead of 4 x 8 feet, mine is 6 x 35 feet, and it doesn't even have a siding. But hey, you gotta start somewhere!!!

Lady_Railfan said:
:D Actually, it describes my layout almost exactly. Only difference is that instead of 4 x 8 feet, mine is 6 x 35 feet, and it doesn't even have a siding. But hey, you gotta start somewhere!!!

Big difference.

Wow! Even got the "BIG B" to lock it. You should know by now the establishment doesn't like to be slam dunked:rolleyes: :D

A well planned 4x8 can give a hobbist a lot of enjoyment, but the one they use is going to be a boring and unchallenging layout...even with all the nice scenery. I remember as a grade school kid having a Lionel on a 4x8 that I would slid back and forth under the bed. As much as I loved it, it wouldn't take long before I realized it didn't do anything, so back under the bed for a few weeks and then out to try again. Finally, gave up.

CP990 said:
Don't ALL model rr'ds go around and around? That's all they do isn't it?...

No, quite a few model railroads don't have any provisions for running trains "around and around" (continous running in model railroad speak). A lot of model railroads operate in a point to point operation where you trains starts from one location and ends up at another where it has to be turned or at least run around the train before it can head back.

Personally, I feel continous running is an important part of any layout, and every one I've ever built had some provision for a complete loop. But there are lots of very nice layouts out there that don't. Some are shelf layouts, others are huge monsters that fill up an entire basement.

Nothing wrong with either approach, just different ways of doing it.

Meanwhile, as for "That's all they do isn't it?" somebody needs to introduce you to the "operating" side of model trains, where you trains with a simulated purpose, picking up and dropping cars, and/or running on a schedule etc. It really does add a lot of interest to the hobby. Personally, I don't do much of that, since I get all the "switching puzzles" I need on the full size stuff, but there are plenty of model railroaders who really enjoy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
listen guys (and Claudia), my son who's six thinks it's a prety cool layout, life is more than trains, he say's he could drive all his cars and trucks down the roads, over the crossing and under the bridge and so on, it is what YOU make of it in your imagination that counts, don't just look at the oval, imagine your six again and standing up and your head is level with the track, it makes it a pretty convincing layout
thats just my view anyway

SpaceMouse said:
But how many 6 year-olds read MR?
Starting at ~age 3, my son Calvin used to bring the newly-arrived MR mag's to me [when I still had a subscription] and sit there with me while I unwrapped it and glanced thru it. Then at about age 7, he discovered the wide world of sports cars and that became his True Love...:(

When I was younger (back in the early 90's) I always enjoyed setting up the big oval on the table and running our blue box with no handrails and Bachmann cars. :D I guess that I am different than most, but I really used my imagination with just a little oval. I do the same today. I have an 8x8 square piece of wood with one basic oval, siding switches, spurs, and a plan for a smaller oval inside that is connected. On top of that, we are adding a new main line oval with concrete ties. I love it. I never get sick of watching the trains go round and round. It's cool that some people want to do their own operations, but I don't feel the need to do it. I let my imagination run with the trains and that it why I really enjoy it. (and why my X-Box and PS2 are collecting dust)

Don't ALL model rr'ds go around and around?
:D Nope mine don't. I did have one I built back in the late 70's 5x9, and the biggest thrill was building it. I soon tired of it (just took an hour or so) and let the kids run it while I found something more interesting. One afternoon I found them crash testing my trains for head on collisions. It had a very short life after that. LOL I didn't even get to finish the scenery. Some of the remains are still visable in the back 40. Cheers Willis

Fortunately, I have the space to have the best of both in my layout. I have two mainlines, one for the upper/lower level and one for the lower only. Both are continuous, if I choose to run it that way, but I have built in Wye's and Reversing loops at several points of the layout.
The result is 'point to point' operation from two directions then reversing to go back or I can have a train/trains running continuously just for the relaxing effects of railfanning. Both are great and I never get bored with it. What is fun is to have a passenger operating as a continuous loop and trying to dodge it with another train doing point-to-point.:eek: :D

Every self respecting modeler need a crash test facilty.
I already have one, it's called fumble fingers or something like that, every loco that was tested failed miserably :D Extensive repair with reinforcement was always necessary.
"different strokes for different folks"
that's very true, but heck I don't even know if I'll be satisfied with what I've built. It was great while I was thinking about it, but NOW, time will tell. Actually I like the building aspect of the hobby more at this time.

Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan said:
:D Nope mine don't. I did have one I built back in the late 70's 5x9...

I recognize that plan, and I think I may even have built a version of it at some point in my modeling career. It's one of the better known small layouts, and packs a lot of operation into a small space.

I like a long mainline run, but in addition to my HO layout I am building a 3x7 N scale layout, and I bet I won't be that satisfied with it. Continuous running is my favorite part, but I love a good switch run or local.

and packs a lot of operation into a small space.
Bob you have to be kidding, my opinion of it was it made a nice race track not much operation in that. Could be I don't have a vivid imagination :D
If I had known a bit about model railroading or railroading in general, at the time maybe I'd of had a different opinion. The opinion I had at the time (now set in stone) is it was designed to sell a lot of Atlas track products. Another thing to consider is I wouldn't recommend this layout for a beginner. The uninformed can create too many problem areas for themselves like I did. As a learning experience on scenery it was great.

Cheers Willis

The best thing I can think of is that this is an intentionally simple project that a young father can do with his son, or daughter for that matter, without breaking the bank. Many people that are thinking about getting into the hobby do not have a clue about the operations side, they're primarily interested in running trains. But once in it the research might begin when they realize this is going to be boring. Maybe this little railroad is a good learning project that will lead to the Humongus Railroad later on.
I dunno. Who really does?
Jarrell

RexHea said:
" What is fun is to have a passenger operating as a continuous loop and trying to dodge it with another train doing point-to-point.:eek": :D

I do that also Rex! Puts a little tension into the mix, doesn't it... :D
Jarrell

Back