Dang, Space, just jab the giant in the butt with a red hot poker.

I just gave away a little 4x6 ho layout that was actually fun to operate, it only had two spurs, a passing loop inside a mountain and the other outside the mountain. Two trains could be run alternately, was easy to build as it was flat, 0 derailments. I built it for the grandchildren, but I used it too. That's where to start out in my opinion, that or go real big like a 20 foot'er :D
easier trackwork.

Willis

CBCNSfan said:
Bob you have to be kidding, my opinion of it was it made a nice race track not much operation in that. Could be I don't have a vivid imagination :D

Well the "nice race track" part is actually good for beginners, since they like to run trains in circles and that plan gives you a place to do that. It also has 3 or 4 spurs, a run-around track and a small switching yard. All in all, quite a bit packed into a 5 x 9 area.

Again, you obviously don't think as highly of it, but for something that fits on a ping-pong table I think it's pretty decent. Granted you need to run short trains as the grades would give a Shay a workout, but you can't have everything and still fit it in a small space.

but you can't have everything and still fit it in a small space.
Very true Bob, but sometimes less is more.( I know, oxymoron) Wish I'd taken a photo of the 4x6 it was quality over quantity. The trouble with the GG&N was it was too advanced a project for someone building a first layout and without previous experience or help. It left me with mixed feelings. After I dismantled it my hobby became motorcycles.

Cheers Willis

I personally don't see anything wrong with 4x8's. While as I get older, 4x8's seem less appealing, you have to start somewhere. My first model railroad was one my dad built for my brother and I (Ironically enough, my dad's hardly interested in trains anymore), and it was a very humble 4x3 N Scale layout with no industries. But I had lots of fun with that layout. It was just about the only thing I played with till my parents got a computer, and then I got more into that. I don't have the layout anymore, but it is probably the reason I am into model railroading, and it also made me more interested in prototype railroads.

As for the six year olds reading MR, I first started reading it when I was 3 or 4. :)

I personally don't see anything wrong with 4x8's.
Hi Austin, no there is absolutely nothing wrong with 4 X 8's they are excellent for starting out and if well done a source of pleasure for years to come. They also can be incorporated into a larger layout or expanded at a later date. The problem comes into play when too much track is crammed into too small of an area. Expansion or incorporation into a larger layout, well it would be better to start out fresh.
Something to consider, how many newbies would know that an inclining road (grade) on a turn will try to twist like an airplane propeller. Yet that first one I did was just about all grades and curves. There were many frustrating hours spent on track work before a train would stay on a track. Thankfully we weren't gluing roadbed in the at that time.

Cheers Willis

Austin, I believe that most of us are saying that a 4x8 can be good for a starter or even if the space limits the size. The key to rather it will be a fun and an interesting layout or not, is the design. If a person is only interested in scenery or the artistic side of MR, then the simple oval might surfice. But, if this MR wants to have some interesting operations, he should build in some switching challenges by installing industrial sidings, passing sidings, and other track configurations...maybe even the John Allen's 'Timesaver' or like arrangements.;) :) Take a look at this:http://carendt.com/microplans/pages/shelf/tymesaver/

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe even the John Allen's 'Timesaver' or like arrangements
Hi Rex, Those are perfect examples of what can be incorporated into a 4X8 ft. layout to keep it interesting. However if one wants hills and valleys with grades it becomes all but impossible unless the hills are above the road and valleys and streams are below, thus leaving the track work on the level. On a small layout "The best of both worlds" scenery and operation can be accomplished.

Cheers Willis

Personally I think we need to get away from the "holy 4x8" and think a little more reasonably. How many kids have that sort of room in their room? Or even in a garage (new houses in most of the country don't come with basements)?

I'd recommend instead a 2x8 or 2x6. MR had a wonderful little "Railroad you can build" article back in '82 on the Galveston Wharves Terminal RR. I think it might have been written by Cyril Durrenburger. It started as a shelf, expanded around a couple of corners - in stages - and finally stuck a penninsula out into the room. Just the first stage had more operational prospects than most of your "round 'n rounds."
I almost had the first phase of it built by the time I left for the Army in '85.

Oh, have I mentioned I dislike "island" layouts?

At this point I'd like to remind everyone that the problem I had with the article was not that it was a 4x8, it's that it was the most boring 4x8 ever designed.

Did anyone notice that the feed store that was the only industry did not have street access. I don't think there was alot of sales going on there.

Now now Chip, we've properly hijacked your thread (I agree, the layout was a scenic'ed version of my first Tyco set), just sit back and enjoy the changes...

SpaceMouse said:
At this point I'd like to remind everyone that the problem I had with the article was not that it was a 4x8, it's that it was the most boring 4x8 ever designed.

Did anyone notice that the feed store that was the only industry did not have street access. I don't think there was alot of sales going on there.

But just look at all the nice cryin' and yellin' and arguing you produced..;)
Kinda makes a fella proud, don't it. :D
Jarrell

port.gif

Back