Custom Railroad Decals

macjet

I've got a pair of P2K GP20's on the way and I would like to model some Farmrail/Grainbelt (farmrail.com) locomotives. Any suggestions on who I should contact to have these made? Or even better, is there someone already making these decals?

Thanks.

Thanks. I'll contact ELS. Scale Graphics isn't accepting custom decals at this time.

Are there any issues with using a railroads trademark?

Email Leghome on this Forum. He has a friend that makes custom decals & he is very reasonable. He made a complete set for me a few years ago & since then I make my own.

Larry

[Just a disclaimer, I'm NOT a lawyer...:eek: ]

I've heard that you can do decals privately, if you're only using them on your own pike/locos. The real problem would be if you print up large quantities of decal sets and offer them for sale as being decals for that railroad.

Maybe you can contact the FarmRail's PR dept and ask them what their policy is?

[...]Scale Graphics isn't accepting custom decals at this time.[...]
UPDATE 08/30/07
We're BACK!!!

Well, sort of back anyway. We are once again printing decals, but in limited quantities for the time being.
They should be back to custom decals in the coming month, according to the owner. I've been chatting with him since some posts on the PFSIG group. Did you know, the new printer he has, the white toner cartages cost $1400! He says this new printer is the best he's ever seen though, better then screen printing, better then alps...

[Just a disclaimer, I'm NOT a lawyer...:eek: ]

I've heard that you can do decals privately, if you're only using them on your own pike/locos. The real problem would be if you print up large quantities of decal sets and offer them for sale as being decals for that railroad.

Maybe you can contact the FarmRail's PR dept and ask them what their policy is?

Shouldn't be a problem. I've know the president for many, many moons. Maybe I'll drop him a line. I'd really like to offer for sale a run of either painted kits or decal kits to model their PS covered hoppers. Might be a nice little "what is that" on a lot of railroads.

Railroads Trademark!

Any logo is the property of that company and copyrighted to them, the same applies to photographs being copyrighted to the photographer that took them! In either case they may not be copied without the companies/ photographers permision especially for commercial purposes in whatever quantity. Otherwise it's envasion of Copyright protection.

I would believe that if your doing this for your own purposes only for use on your layout I doubt that there will be too many that will object though, indeed how would they know, but if your doing it for a customer etc there may well be underlying issues relating to Copyright infringment.

I'm not an Attorney but have been in photography long enough and have come across this copyright issue numerous times to have a pretty good understanding of the legal issues.

Thanks. I'll contact ELS. Scale Graphics isn't accepting custom decals at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any logo is the property of that company and copyrighted to them, the same applies to photographs being copyrighted to the photographer that took them! In either case they may not be copied without the companies/ photographers permision especially for commercial purposes in whatever quantity. Otherwise it's envasion of Copyright protection.

I would believe that if your doing this for your own purposes only for use on your layout I doubt that there will be too many that will object though, indeed how would they know, but if your doing it for a customer etc there may well be underlying issues relating to Copyright infringment.

I'm not an Attorney but have been in photography long enough and have come across this copyright issue numerous times to have a pretty good understanding of the legal issues.

Thanks for the info. Good stuff.

Back