Custom Painting Life-Like GP-38

Good Sir Jim

They Make An HO Now?
I bought a Chessie GP-38 a long while back at a train show somewhereabouts. It runs sort of noisy, and doesn't have any flywheels, and the paint scheme is way off, colors are too dark and icky.

So I thought this one would be the perfect candidate for my first custom-painted engine. Does Norfolk Southern own any GP-38s? I couldn't find any in the limited time I searched Google.

Large Image of Paint Progress

I had to swap the two wires on the motor, the darn thing would run backwards of my other engine. You may be able to tell that I'm new to soldering. But, practice makes perfect! I also applied heat-shrink tubing and taped it all down to serve the dual purpose of keeping the wires in one spot and holding the weights together and not shifting on me.

Painted the shell with my 'special' (re: mixed together what I have on hand) concoction for a very nice flat black color. Unfortunately, was not careful enough removing the cab windows, so I need to go find some new ones. The shell is tooled for Horn Hooks, so I'll need to do some innovative cutting to fit in a Kadee gearbox, but I'm not too worried.

life_8288.jpg

The old color scheme, except the yellow was a much more painful orange, and the red a bit deeper.

Ah, excellent, thank you both. Those are excellent links to have, Josh, I've been looking for websites with photos.

Make no mistake, I would love either of those, but that involves spedning money. I may have been a little unclear, I already own the engine, and have for a while. All I need to buy is the necessary decals. But thank you for the link, I may buy one of those in the near future.

You could use some clear plastic strips, cut from a plastic bottle for you locomotives cab. I used strips to glaze a caboose I bought a while ago. I used Microscale Kristal Kleer to glue the plastic into position.
I,ve just finished repainting and re-lettering a Life-Like B23-9 from Chessie colours to Conrail blue, using Floquil paint, and Microscale decals.It looks very different to how I first got the loco !!. Its a cheap way to get used to remodelling a loco into the RR company you prefer. Certainlly better than buying a very expensive loco and then getting it wrong !!!
Ronzzr11

Back