Custom MOW Wrecking Crane

TrucTrain55

Well before I call it a day and waiting for some decals, I found this old relic in the parts box it has been broken and the thread is a tangled mess sometimes I’ve thought about just throwing it away but I didn’t. So I stated working on it first up is to get that 40yr JB weld off.

56DC1A8C-0B16-43B6-AC9D-5FD7B8654E14.jpeg
C83354ED-1C3E-42A7-A36B-B7377894C40F.jpeg
A72A3BFA-F477-4175-898F-D1DD1C70FCE5.jpeg
02EFFCC4-B646-4127-9461-CBA83DFE841A.jpeg
B866714B-A15D-4C89-A288-387C933AD13F.jpeg

Anxious to see what you do with this.

I saw what you were working on in the caboose MOW thread and made me rethink tossing the "toy" Tyco, Bachmann and Lifelike cars I picked up at the auctions.

Thanks Patrick
Never toss those cheap cars ect.. the will come in handy some day. I thought about tossing this one but I just couldn’t do it finally got some patience to figure this thing out

Sherrel. Thanks for the complement. I’m glad I didn’t toss it!

Greg. Thanks for the complement and stopping by. I’m going to keep it primer gray and put the MOW decals on it when they get here.

Before you letter it "MOW", just recognize those cranes didn't belong to the "MOW" department.

MOW = maintenance of way, the engineering department that repairs the track. Wrecking cranes like that belonged to the Mechanical department, the same guys that run the car shops, RIP tracks and engine facilities. Traditionally there are 3 departments on a railroad: Operating/transportation (train crews, clerks), Engineering (track, bridge and signals), and Mechanical (cars and locomotives).
MOW did have cranes but they had conventional booms, generally lower capacity and were designed to do bridge and track maintenance/construction). Wrecking cranes are designed and equipped to pick up cars and locomotives. Occasionally the MOW department would borrow a wrecker to change out a bridge section or lay track panels, but the Mechanical department almost never borrowed a MOW crane to pick up a car and wouldn't have the capacity to pick up a locomotive.

Dave
This is going to be a fictitious work crane it doesn’t matter to me who used what or how correct this has to be. I’m not a Rivet counter or don’t care about the accuracy of this subject. All I’m striving for is a work train on my layout. Yes I still plan to use it for the MOW but thanks for the insight

Back