Custom Cat load

Rub

Hey guys let me know what ya think.

I used my new camera. Still trying to figure it out. Pics are not the best.

100_1763.png

100_1764.png

100_1765.png

100_1767.png

100_1768.png

100_1762.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad, I would see if you couldn't find some smaller chain though, those links are way way too big. Usually people use cheap jewellers chain and such.

Yeah, I knew they were to big. I bought this chain at Hobby Lobby. It is the smallest stuff they had at the time. I am also working on another project that chain is perfect for. I had it so I used it on this as well.

One more thing I am waiting for you guys to point out.

If you get the appropriate chain, move them closer together, and crosschain the front and back of each to the deck. In real life they usually have solid Drings welded to the chassis for tie down purposes.

I move the smaller ones with my towtruck, and they also want me to have the boom brought in closer, usually with a block of wood under the bucket to save my deck from getting hammered everytime I hit a bump lol. The ones I move though are only 8-12000 pounds though.

Except for the chain size, it looks good to me. The only thing that looks to missing is some blocking under the shovels so they don't rest directly on the flatcar deck.

Is the chain just cut off and glued to the Cat tracks? Was that what we were to notice? I was just checking the chain route and it would have to be wrapping the post to the cab or criss-crossing over the tread tracks. If the same chain went across the front and another across the back, slack would be obtained if the chain moved or slipped on a track tread. All in all tho its a nice job!. I'd roll it on my line!

nice flat car load.

just a FYI the way most haul and chain excavators to keep its hight and the space it takes up reduced is to tuck the bucket under the boom and than lower the boom all the way down. Right now your bucket is fully extended. Then you throw a chain across the boom to both sides. Chain all 4 corners of the tracks to the car pulling the machine towards the out side. This is just the common practice when on semi Trailers.

It Looks good regardless. Nice job!

Trent

All in all tho its a nice job!. I'd roll it on my line!

Yeah, what he said!! It looks great and you can see that alot of hard work went into it. When Bob is done running it on his line, send those beauties on down this way and I'll move them around my layout for a spell with a couple of GP-9's. :D:D

Hey guys thanks for the input.

nmaniac, I dont get on here as much as I would like. I would love a chunk of chain. Please shoot me an Email. rub1978@hotmail.com

The excavator is one of the cheaper ones from Norscot. They are about $5.00 give or take. The boom only moves in one place. Thats why it is the way it is. I had to grind out that one just to get it as low as it is.

I was expecting some one to point out that it is not an HTTX.

This was my first crack at trying a "semi" realistic CAT load. I am going to cough up the extra money to get the better Norscot model. It has movable tracks and the bucket rotates as well. Being the tracks are more realistic I can hook the chain onto the tracks. I tryed to cross chain it a few different ways. It looked worse then it does now.

Does anyone make chain binders?

How many links per inch would look "right" for a project like this? I see them on Ebay but most of them look about the same as what I used.

well in real life the chain links are about 1 1/2" long so scale that figure down to 1/87 and there you go. i dont think anyone makes chain that small but I could be wrong? Not sure about binders bit you could always make them with some plasticstruct rod and square tube

Rub, you have mail comming:D

You know in H.O. it would be easy to drill holes for "tie down rings" I use N scale lift rings on my stuff so in a bigger scale it should be easy eh?

Does anyone make chain binders?

How many links per inch would look "right" for a project like this? I see them on Ebay but most of them look about the same as what I used.

There is a Seller on the internet who was making very nice HO scale chains with Come-alongs. However, he has temporarily closed his order taking while undergoing treatment for cancer. I bought several dozen sets from him last year, and they are realistic and far superior to thread, wire, jewelry chain, etc.

Here's the link: http://soddersenterprises.com/

One more comment: you might want to think about painting the wheel chocks a medium gray or black color. They look plastic as it is.

Actually, the wheel chocks appear to be made out of wood and look exactly like what I'd expect to with chocks made out of new lumber.

The wheels chocks are made of wood. The prototype pic I was useing had brand new wood.

I am working on something new. I will post pics when I get it done. I went a dirrerent direction.

Back