Curved RR Bridge?

I have to place a single track bridge over some water that happens to be on a corner of the layout. This will require a curved bridge. I can't scratch build this so I am hoping someone can give me some ideas or kits I can buy that will work. It is HO and the curved section is going to be about a 24in radius in two sections. It will go curved for about 12in then go straight for several inches and then continue another 12in curved connecting two land masses. The small center section will be a rock mass that I can support the ends of the two bridge sections on. These dimensions are ball park and can be adj a great deal. OK so this should be clear as mud! Any ideas?
Terry :confused:

Scubaterry

Almost any bridge would work, depending on a few items. As you know, the bridge itself wouldn't actually be curved, but straight with a new straight section slightly skewed in the direction of the curve. That make sense? I would recommend an excellent book from Kalmbach called Bridge and Trestles. It covers something along what you are discussing. Micro Engineering makes kits that are easy kitbashers that might also fit your needs. Are you looking for a girder type or the more common top braced types. Name escapes what the technical term is.

David - Tks for the reply. Not really sure what type bridge I want. I do think it would look good if it was the type with the braces above the bridge. Also I failed to mention it will be transiting a harbor scene so boat traffic will have to pass under it theoretically.

Grande man - I checked out the link you provided. Good to know they do make curved bridges. Tks for your help. I will let you folks know what I come up with.

If there are any more ideas out there I would love to hear them!
Terry

scubaterry said:
Also I failed to mention it will be transiting a harbor scene so boat traffic will have to pass under it theoretically.

Be a place to add a draw bridge. :)

Dave - Yes maybe a drawbridge of sorts would help break up the curve. And I wouldn't have to have the bridge grade as high to clear the channel.

Nate - That is one heck of a Trestle/bridge?. Beautiful work! Maybe we will hear from Mr Rolleiman.
Terry

I had a similar problem--my higher grade Westbound line had to cross over my Eastbound line at one point, and clear a #1 and #2 main and a siding. I found that the Walther's double-track through truss worked perfectly. I added some extra cross-bracing to the bridge floor, laid the 34" radius track and it looks okay. Evidently there are prototype examples of this type of 'curved' truss in use, one on the ex-Chesapeake and Ohio line through the New River Gorge in W.VA and one on the ex-GN mainline through the Washington Cascades. At any rate, it worked just fine for me.
105648607.jpg

Tom

scubaterry said:
If there are any more ideas out there I would love to hear them!
Terry

I say abandon that end of the layout and apply for a permit to expand another way! :D

Tom - Excellent idea using a double main truss bridge. Lots of room to curve the flex track. Definately a keeper. Thanks.

Claudia - Nice bridge but afraid I would lose what remaining hair I had trying to duplicate that.

Thanks to everyone for their input. Always a pleasure!
Terry :D

Back